Chapter 31

"Emperor, king, general, duke," he whispered to himself. "These are just labels. Climb up the family tree of any of them high enough and you'll find a commoner who dared to take a chance."
― Ken Liu

Chapter 31: Commoners

I stared at the owner of the voice only to be greeted with a unfamiliar handsome face.

i tilted my head and was about to say something when a tiny figure jumps towards me which luckily i manage to catch.

"you came back!"

"of course" i simply replied and caried her with one arm as i help my sister removes the cloak on her body,

"oh, lev you know them?" the man asks in a smile, i observe how his eyes remain on Lilith's figure, and hesitate to block his line of sight but decided not to.

even though his smile were fake and his eyes were hypnotize to remain smiling i couldn't sense any ill intentions from him so i let him observe my sister.

"i don't know the other one but this sister is going to stay in our inn brother!!" he cheered and i lightly smiled

the boy finally decided to moved his eyes away from lilith and stared at me and i stared back, our staring was cut off when lilith interrupted.

"Good job" i lightly beam and stared at her lazily, she lightly touches the flower and and stared at the design on the room.

"it was thanks to this little one" lev giggle and lilith copied his actio and bowed at him lightly.

"thank you young man"

"hm! no worry no worry" lilith chuckles and stared at lev who put his hand on his hip and raises his chip up, immiting how a arrogant noble boast.

"anyway thank you for choosing our inn, i shall check what room mother placed you"

"thank you" lilith said to the man and the man nod as a response

he walk away from us and i escorted lilith from one of the chair and sat with her with lev in my lap.

"my inn is the best right?!"

"yes" i immediately replied causing him to beam but immediately deflated which didn't fail to notice by my sister.

"what's wrong?"

"our inn is best but no one wants to stay in here, they said the interor is very girly and it's very expensive.. neh neh what does interor means?" he innocently asks while staring at my sister who smile.

"it's interior little man, it meas the inside of the hose or the store"

"ohhhh, what about expensive?"

"hmm expensive is not cheap"

"not cheap?"

"yes it means spending a lot of money!"

"ohhhhh" my head lightly bump on the little one's head as i started losing consciousnesses, lilith probably notice it cause she immediately gestured lev to come over.

my head fell towards the table and i immediately fell asleep.

[Lilith Avaleon]

"ehhh she's sleeping?!" i smiled at the young one and help him sat on the chair beside me.

"yes she's always when she's not training"

"why would she train?"

"because she want to be a knight"

"a knight ?1 as in a person that goes to fight? and save the world?!"

"yes yes"

"i want to be a knight too!" i silenlty thank the xavier when he handed me a menu.

i stared at the unfamiliar names of the menu and stared at my sleeping sister.

whenever we went out to grab a bite in a commoner store, my sister would always be the one to choose my food so i don't know what to order.

i lightly bite my bottom lip and stared at the menu and stared at my sister again.

i could not wake her up, it's not because it would be rude of me but because i want her to sleep.

she's always there when i need her, she's always beside me to help me from my ignorance when it comes to common sense.

"are you a noble?" i stared at the boy and gasp silently.

now i don't know what to do.. i planned to hide my identity as a noble so i would know the life of one, i want to know what ,makes them stronger,, i want to know their daily lives and what makes them different from us.

why do the other nobles hate them and why do they belittle them .

i want to know.. by now i couldn't even find an excuse.

"i'll take that as a yes... is she a noble too?" i notice how his eyes shifted from anger and disgust to his usual smiling expression.

it was a terrifying change that i couldn't make out a sound immediately but i gather the courage to answer.

"she-she's my sister" i stutter,

he smiled and i know it was fake... i can read a person's emotion towards me as if i'm reading a picture book.

i am a holder of the red joker, even though my power was sealed, one of the characteristics the red joker has is the effortless empathy. if the black joker has the mark the red joker has the ability to fell the others emotion.

so i could immediately sense his hatred towards us.

"so your order?" his way of speech is very rude, if the person his talking is a different noble he would be immediately punished but i didn't mind because i'm having a hard time ordering.

i could feel my stomach groaning when i was about to talk a tired voice interrupted causing me to sigh in relief.

"you like strawberry shortcake right? lemme see" i immediately handed ezu the menu and she skim towards it and pointed to a name

"two of this and a lime leaves please" the boy nod and Ezu went back to sleeping.

i patted my chest to calm myself and went back to talking to the boy who's staring at me with innocent eyes.

"i didn't told you my name yet i am lev!"

i smiled and ruffles his head gently

"i am Lilith"

"lilith? can i call you lily instead?"

"of course"

"yay! lily you are very pretty" i giggle and he did the same

"my sister also told me that, thank you, you are very handsome too Lev" he beam and puff his chest causing me to giggle again and he did the same.

"here's your order"

"wow" both of us said and stared at the cake.

A strawberry shortcake is the best.