Chapter 49

"he's sneaky sure, but he's dumb so dumb that he can be the dumbest of dumb and dumber"
- Suzue Reed

Chapter 49: Already there

Exhausted the three of us sat down on the vacant table and chairs on the guild. we were too immerse on our little roaming o the forest that we got lost.

Luckily we manage to return in the town before the night arrives. our stomach growls and i immediately order food.

the forest is full of fruits that can be substitute for our usual lunch but they were just berries and some big fruits are poisonous.

i notice the cook staring at me and wave me to come over and i immediately complied.

i observe the cook's face and notice that he looks handsome and seems like on his 30's? he doesn't look like a normal cook too.

"you guys look exhausted, did you encounter monsters on the forest?" the cook asked while started cooking.

i lean in the door and watch him busy himself on cooking.

"yeah a monster called direction" he roared in laughter and stared at me with amusement,

"you guys got lost?"

"Yes we wasted our time in the forest. we didn't do anything but explore instead of keeping the doctor safe when he's harvesting herbs"

"doctor who's doctor you were assigned?"

"Frederick?" he nods and places the pasta on a plate and made sandwiches.

"oh that doctor? he's a great at medicines. unfortunately he's not in his clinic. He was called at the office earlier this morning"

"office?" he nods and pointed the upstairs.

"the guild's office, i heard he was asking for any news about her daughter, his daughter went to the neighborhood land, the land of Nero. they keep contact using letters but a month ago the doctor haven't receive any letters from her anymore. then he found out the girls from that land stared disappearing"

i nod in understanding and accepted the other tray while i watch the waiter held the other.

the cook cleaned his hand with a towel and spoke again.

"everyday the news is the same, nothing and the missing ladies were still increasing but 2 days ago the news change"

i pick up a burger and took a large bite and waited for him to speak.

"a girl with three handsome young men declared to find the ladies, it was quite interesting sight'

"oh you were there?" i asked after swallowing the burger. i took a bite again and watch him grin and sat on the chair and started smoking.

this man, isn't he not aware that smoking is dangerous if inhaled? i mean used. who am i kidding can't he just wait after i leave?, i don't care if you die but i love to keep my body healthy.

"what's with that disgusted look?, anyway yes i was there. The girl was pretty and if i remember correctly she's the genius who made the ice cream? yeah it was tasty.

after their brave declaration. She was kidnapped the next day. it turns out that the missing girls were kidnapped to be displayed in the red district and sold to some nobles and interested on buying a sex slave"

Red district, i wonder if this land have one of those districts?

"no we don't have that here" i ignore his mind reading skill and finishes my burger and went to eat the sandwich.

"i am pretty sure they will Destroy that human trafficking business by now. how about you and your sister and the boy you seem to consider adopting?"

his description is to absolute that it was so creepy, is he perhaps a stalker of mine?

"Stop with that look" "what about us?" i ignored his defeated phrase and asked him lazily

"you three are investigating The deicide wanted case right?"

i didn't answer and just nod.

"so how was it? you're almost there?"

"i am already there" i corrected causing his eyebrow to raise. he leans on his chair and places his leg on his thigh and stared at me with amusement.

"hohoho, such confidence, how certain are you?"

i placed the tray on the table and inserted both of my hands inside my pocket and tilted my head and stared at him.

"why are you curious?"

he grins and shrugs.

"well it's normal to be curious when someone's wrecking a havoc in your land"

i just stared at him and yawn.

"i already know who it is, i just need to confirm it by confronting him. he's sneaky sure, but he's dumb so dumb that he can be the dumbest of dumb and dumber"

his face become serious but the smile is still there. he pinches the cigarette and hums.

"What if you are wrong"

i glance at the side when i notice ethan turning his head around and his red blank eyes found my figure and he walks towards me. i properly stood up and glances at him and clicks my tongue.

"such foolishness" i coldly said and walk towards ethan who's yawning.

i pick him up and went to my sister who's chatting with lucas. both of them wear a sad expression but i could see a tiny bliss from them.

"woman ... i am sleepy... let's go" Ethan said and for once not to me. Lilith was surprise too and beams at Ethan.

"okay" she must be very happy hearing ethan speak to her.

both of us bows lightly at lucas who smiled and bowed in return. lilith bid her goodbyes and goodnight the young man. and it didn't go unnoticed to me how both of their cheeks has a tint of red.

i ignore it and waited for my sister.

"let's go" she walk ahead of us but before i could follow i heard lucas spoke coldly.

"I already figure out the hints you've said to me last night. And i found out who killed Charles. Please let me have his head" i glance at him and saw a pair of cold and eyes filled with anger and grief causing his blue eyes to sparkle.

i grin lightly and snicker.

"killing him would be disgusting, you can have him then... i don't mind~"

i wonder what will happen... if ... you'll find yourself in the same situation with your victims? deicide?