~Chapter 29~ Their Story pt.3

Flashback- Sanghoon POV

For the next few days, I had to take Yulhee to Gangneung, and it turned to be 3 days a week. Her father always apologized to me for having to take her, he said he could send her on carriage, but she always insisted on going by foot.

Eventually, we grew closer to each other, since we had to walk long distances together, and she was the kind of girl to talk for hours, and I enjoyed listening to her.

Yulhee was a dreamy girl, she wanted to travel a lot, enjoyed reading, swimming, and loved children. On one of the trips, she told me she wanted to become a mother, and that she dreamed of having a children care house. However, every time she told me about that dream, her smile slowly faded, as if something didn't allow her to do so, and I was afraid I knew what it was.

"Son, I am sorry to trouble you again with Yulhee, I promise I will slowly repay you." The landlord handed me some bags to carry, early in the morning.

"Do not worry, sir. I walk everyday that distance so I am used to it." I hanged the bags on each shoulder. The landlord just sighed, smiling.

"Yulhee!" He called. "Hurry up."

Yulhee said goodbye to her father and we headed to the trail. Once again, we talked about all the stories we had to share, everything that could come in mind.

"Tell me again the story of your parents." She clapped with a huge smile on her face.

"I have told you this story several times." I chuckled.

"I know, I just want to hear it again."

"Fine." I started to tell how my parents met and everything they went through to have me and live on their own. Yulhee truly enjoyed that story, I could see it in her face.

Once I finished, she remained silent, thinking.

"It's amazing how your father stood up and ran away with your mother." She said.

"They did not run away" I chuckled, "but sort of, yes. I too enjoy that story, I believe my parents experienced true love."

A minute or two passed in pure silence again.

"Do you remember the question I asked you the first day we traveled together?"

"I have terrible memory, so no, I am sorry." I said.

"About the lovers." She hesitated to keep going, and I was confused.

"Do you get to choose who you love?" She asked, and my heart stopped, because I remembered the question, and I know knew why she asked it.

"I... there is not someone I love right now."

"I did not ask that."

Again, silence.

"Do you?" She stopped walking, waiting for me to answer. 

"I think this is not a topic we shou-"

"I don't want to marry that man."

I felt a knot in my throat and a hole in my stomach. She confessed what I already knew. I wanted to hold her in my arms and comfort her, but my parents words kept coming to mind. I developed feeling for her, and I wanted to tell her how much in love of her I was, but it wasn't right.

I sighed. "I can not help you."

"You can."

"I know you have feelings for me. And I have them t-"

"Yulhee, stop it." I said, "I am just completing my task."  

"Sang Hoon..."

Before she could keep talking, I heard voices, and I knew exactly what kind of voices. I grabbed Yulhee and hid behind some trees. A group of men were passing by, and they were thieves. Suddenly, another voice popped from behind of us.