XXX

I stood in front of the mirror and stared at my appearance

I stood in front of the mirror and stared at my appearance. I looked tired, my eyes shone but not with the twinkle that it usually had. They were darker and stormier ever since the battle. Thunder threatened to rain down whenever I thought about the events of those few days, all the people we lost. My face was paler too, a stark contrast from my eyes. My forehead was creased and my eyebrows seemed to have settled to be permanently furrowed.

My shorter hair was straightened, it's usual waves being flushed away into symmetry. It seemed appropriate for today. My black dress was only bought the other day, nothing that anybody had would fit over my rapidly growing baby bump. It was much larger than an under 5 month stomach should be, I looked at least 7 months but perhaps it was a connection to the kid having godly blood.

The floorboards creaked behind me and I felt a pair of arms wrap around me, hands settling on my bump. I leaned back against them, finding comfort in their warmth. I nestled deeper into the crook of their neck as they leaned their chin on my shoulder, looking at the pair of us in the mirror. I sighed in content, putting my hands atop of theirs, feeling the gentle movement of the baby. I was lucky.

"Hey, Thor," I whispered lowly, tilting my head back to press a soft, lingering kiss on his jaw.

"Morning, my love," he said, breathing in my scent as he nosed my shoulder.

He peppered gentle kisses on my exposed collarbone and I threaded my fingers though his, still resting on my stomach. I became very aware of my own breathing in the silence, my chest moving up and down. I also felt Thor's little movement on my back and I closed my eyes, appreciating what I had.

"Have you finished putting together the rest of your things?" I asked Thor, opening my eyes and turning around to face him. I looped my arms around his neck and he rested his on my hips.

"Yes, I thanked Pepper again this morning for letting us stay the night," Thor said, glancing down. "I feel terrible for putting that pressure on her in this time though."

"I know, so do I," I sighed. "We should have just rejected her offer...but I did what I could to help."

"Yeah, you did," Thor smiled. "The way you were with Morgan really warmed my heart. I can't wait to meet our own," he said, moving one of his hands down to cup the underside of my belly.

"I have a feeling that she'll be coming sooner than later," I hummed, noticing how much bigger my bump looked from this angle.

"I think he'll come real soon, yeah," he said, looking back up at me with a glint in his eyes.

I laughed softly, shaking my head at him. We grew silent again, taking in the moment of quiet before the funeral.

"We're lucky aren't we?" I muttered, pulling Thor into me and resting my head against his chest, listening to the sound of his steady heartbeat.

"Yes, we are," he said and I felt him nod his head. "But we can't forget that it hasn't been an easy road, even though it does seem like it at the moment."