Chapter 22

Previously on Chapter 21

In no time, Senku finally have a lab filled with all shapes of vials. He looks so happy, even if he didn't show it too much. He have a huge grin on his face. I smile, knowing we're stepping up. We're making a significant progress, which makes me so happy.

-Life & Death Mission-

Y/N P.O.V

I turn my head and notice Kinro and Ginro standing by the door. "Uh... Senku..." I said. Senku turns his head to look at me. I point my finger at the brothers, who's each holding their spear.

"Is it time to make the spears now?" Ginro said. Senku stares at them for a while. "Yeah... but only the silver one" he said. Kinro looks disappointed. I just let out a nervous laugh.

"Ahh sorry, Kinro. I just have a way to be everyone's favorite~" Ginro said, obviously trying to annoy his brother. Senku turns to look at him.

"You're no way near being my favorite... we need it for something else too..." Senku said. I just smile at Senku as he starts to prepare the stuff to make the silver spear.

"This is what we need for making the silver coating? I thought this is some plant's root" Chrome said, as he holds a native silver in his hand. "It does look like a root..." I said. He turns to me and grin. I just give him a smile.

***

They finally have the spear ready. Ginro looks so excited as he admires his new spear. Senku walks up to him and tell him that it also serves as a sensor.

"If the tip turns black... you have to run. A second later, you'll die..." Senku said, with a serious stare. Die?! He don't mean... are they, collecting sulfuric acid?? There's no way I'm letting Senku go without me. I need to make sure he's alright.

"We should get going now" Senku said. I nod my head. "Alright, let's get going" I said. I was about to walk ahead, when a hand grab my arm. I turn around to see Senku.

"Just where do you think you're going, Y/N?" He said. "I thought you said we should get going" I said, staring at him in confusion. He shakes his head at what I said. "When I said 'we.' I meant Ginro, Chrome, Kohaku and I" he said. "What? I'm coming with you..." I said.

"No... you're not. You're staying here" he said. I shake my head. "No, Senku. I'm sick and tired of having to stay back and do nothing! I'm not going to stand down. This is my fight too, Senku. You're not aware about this, but HE wants me dead just as much" I said. He furrows his eyebrows at what I said.

"What are you talking about? You're not the one handling the science... I am! So I'm his main target. You're safe, Y/N" he said. I nod my head. "Maybe not because of science... but I'm capable of something you don't" I said.

"What are you talking about?" He said, staring at me with a furrowed eyebrow. "That day... when I thought you were gone. I threw this at him..." I said, reaching inside my pouch and take out one of the needle I made.

"Senbon needle

"Senbon needle..." he said, staring at it in shock. I nod my head. "This might look like it won't cause much damage. But I've coated it with poison..." I said. I can hear gasps coming from behind me. I turn to look at the others.

"Don't worry... it's not lethal. The poison only attacks your nerve, making you paralyze for a good 24 hours... he's not dead. I don't plan on being a killer like he is" I said. I turn to look at Senku.

"I'm pretty sure he knew it was me. It can't be Yuzuriha... because she just woke up. Taiju never likes to hurt people. And y-you... you were..." I said, my voice cracks in the end. A flash of image of Senku's lifeless eyes comes into my mind.

I suddenly remember the pain I felt when I thought Senku is gone

I suddenly remember the pain I felt when I thought Senku is gone. I was distraught when I thought I won't be able to hear his voice again. Heck, it was so traumatizing that I kept quiet to the point everyone thinks I'm mute! I look down, trying to stop myself from crying.

I shake my head. "That's besides the point! You are the one who said that we'd always have each other's back. But all I've been doing is sitting on the side, watching all of you work beyond your limits because you never let me do any work" I said. Senku just stares at me without saying a word.

"All of that and for what?? Was it because I'm sick? Weak?? I'm not sick! And I'm not weak. I can work too. So I want to help! I don't want to keep being a bu-" I said. I got cut off by Senku. He have a hand on the side of my cheek, as he places a firm kiss on my lips.

My eyes widened in shock at his sudden move. But eventually, my eyes eventually flutter close as I kisses him back. Senku is... kissing me?

He pulls away and leans his forehead against mine. "I'm sorry that I made you feel that way. But please, Y/N. Just this one last time, stay here where you'd be safe. You and I both know we have to focus and work hard in restoring the modern age. But I can't do that if I have to constantly be worried about you..." he said, with his forehead still pressed against mine. My eyes soften at what he said.

"Senku..." I said, tears slowly gathering in my eyes. "I love you, Y/N... so please just stay here. I'll be in peace knowing you'll be alright" he said. I close my eyes, knowing I don't have a choice.

"Okay..." I said, nodding my head. He smiles and place a soft kiss on my forehead. "Thank you, Y/N..." he said. He pulls away and turns around. He gesture the others to follow him.

I watch his back as he keeps on walking forward. Part of me is yelling at me, telling me to chase after him. But other part of me told me to stay. So Senku can focus on his mission. He can't get distracted or it's going to be fatal.

I can feel my tears streaming down my cheeks. I lift my hand, placing it on my lips. The kiss Senku gave me left a tingling sensation. Senku... loves me? All these time, the girl Taiju meant was me? Oh Senku...

I love you too

*to be continued*