Chapter 43

Previously on Chapter 42

"You're amazing..." he said. "So are you..." I said. He smiles and pulls me into a soft kiss. I don't care if there's no celebration. What's most important to me right now is that Senku and I are officially married.

-Stuck-

Y/N P.O.V

I wake up due to the sunlight hitting my face. I open my eyes and yawn softly. Why didn't Senku wake me up? Everyone must be busy with the next steps. I let out a sigh. He's always like that... never really let me do too much work.

I slowly make my way out of the hut and start to climb down. Senku is standing by the hut. He turns his head and notices me coming down. He pulls me into a hug as soon as my feet touches the ground. I let out a yelp at his sudden move.

"Senku..." I said, hitting his shoulder a little. He let out a laugh and place a soft kiss on the side of my head. "Good morning, Y/N" he said. I kiss his cheek. "Good morning to you too" I said, smiling softly at him. I turn my head and notices Chrome wearing something on his head.

"What did I miss?" I asked, staring at Chrome with a confused expression. Senku turns to look at Chrome. "Oh... he's just asking what else I'd need for this cell phones project. Oh, to answer that question. Well, nothing" he said. Chrome's jaw dropped at what he said.

"There's nothing?!" He said, sounding disappointed. "We already have everything we need, thanks to the hard work from earlier" Senku said. I let out a giggle. "I don't know what's going on, but I'm sure he just wanted to do some exploration" I whispered. Senku turns to look at me and chuckles.

"Well, it would be nice to have a ton of copper. There is no telling how much we're going to use for our next brutal crafting session" Senku said. Chrome's eyes lit up at what he said.

"That's it! I got this!" He said, excitedly. He instantly dashed off. "Be back soon!! We're going to need your help!" I yelled out. "Okay!!!" He yelled back. I shake my head and giggles at his excitement. I turn to look at Senku.

"What are you planning on making next?" I asked. He turns to look at me and removes his arms from me. "We're going to make the next level of light bulb. A vacuum tube" he said.

***

The vacuum tube is done. Now we just have to test it out. I kneel down next to Senku as he switch it on. "It'll burn with heat, suck up all the air around it, and..." Senku stops mid sentence when the base of the light bulb cracks.

"I didn't do anything..." Granpa Kaseki said. I just stare in confusion. "It cracked at the base" Suika said. Senku leans forward and squints his eyes. "The wires are expanding..." he said. I turn to look at Senku.

"What should we do now?" I asked. He turns to look at me. "We're gonna have to wait for Chrome to come back. We could try it with copper..." he said. I let out a hum and nod my head. "He better come back soon, then..." I said.

3 Days Later

"I'm back!!! And I copped up some copper! No pun intended" Chrome said, holding copper in his hand. Senku walks towards him and snatch it from him. I walk towards them and stands next to Senku.

"This is just the right time for that copper" he said. He walks back and start making on the copper tube. With a funnel, he gently push through it to create a copper tube.

"A copper tube?" Gen said, holding it in between his fingers. Senku take it from him and works on the vacuum tube. He looks so focused on it, so I just watch in silence as I don't want to distract him.

"A tube will just expand inward without cracking the glass around it..." Senku said, once he's finally done. He switch it on, but the bamboo filament just burns out in an instant.

"Damn... the bamboo filament burnt out instantly" Chrome said. I turn to look at Senku in worry. I can see that he's starting to feel frustrated. I scoot close to him and wrap my arms around him from behind comfortingly. He place his hands on top of mine and sighs softly.

After numerous attempts with variety of materials. Nothing seem to work out. The vacuum tube either burnt out instantly, or the glass shatters.

"Damn it, bamboo filament are just fundamentally too weak for vacuum tubes" Senku said. Kohaku let out a huff. "I don't get the science, but bamboo is too weak, is that right?" She said.

"What do we need? If we need something tougher. I'll find it!" Chrome said, focusing on Senku. Senku let out a sigh. "There's nothing better in this age..." he said.

Everyone starts rummaging through the basket of minerals that Chrome have collected. There's various kinds of minerals. Ruby takes something out.

"This one's like a gem" she said. "That's a jewel bug corpse" Senku said. She let out a shriek and throws it away. I turn to look at Ginro as he holds something in his hand.

"What about this rock? It's really dark, but light like a feather!" He said. I cringe in disgust when I realize what that is. "Raccoon poop..." I said. He smash it with his hands out of reflects. I gagged and let out a sigh. I turn to look at Senku as he lowers his head. I walk towards him and gently slip my hand in his. He turns to look at me and smiles weakly.

"I guess we're stuck. After we've come so far" he said. I shake my head and turn him to face me. "I'm sure there's another way..." I said. He just pulls me into a hug. I place my chin on his shoulder as he buries his face into the crook of my neck.

Night Time

I move my hand slightly and realize the spot next to me is empty. I open my eyes to see Chrome sleeping across from us, but Senku is not here. I turn my head to see him sitting by the open door. I let out a sigh. I move closer to him and snake my arm around his torso.

"Can't sleep?" I said, gently placing my chin on his shoulder. He just nods his head. "Yeah... but I don't have time to be so bummed out. If we can't make a cell phone. We can't make a cell phone. I have to think of something else..." he said. I just smile at him. I turn him to look at me and gently embrace him. I close my eyes and starts humming softly. I can feel Senku's body relaxing a little.

"You're a genius, Senku... I'm sure you'll think of something else, or by miracle... we'd be able to find a solution..." I said. Senku pulls away from the hug. He lift his hand and gently place it on my cheek.

"Thank you, Y/N... you always calmed me down with your presence and comforting words. I love you" he said. I smile and leans my cheek against his hand. "It's my job as your wife, Senku... and I love you too..." I said. He lift his other hand and cups my other cheek. He leans in to place a soft kiss.

"Senku-Chan, Y/N-Chan wakey-wakey" someone said, appearing out of no where with flashlight under their face

"AHHHHH!!!!" I screamed in fear, instantly hugging Senku. I turn my head to see Gen. I let out a huff and glare at him. He just smiles at us. "It's the new year... we should all watch the sunrise together..." he said. I let out a sigh, placing my hand on my chest. I can feel my heart beating rapidly. Damn you, Gen.

*to be continued*