-39-

one step forward, two steps back

TYREESE AND SASHA MOVED INTO THEIR CELL BLOCK, BUT THEY HAD TO EARN THEIR WEAPONS JUST AS MICHONNE AND AXEL DID. They were more than happy to help out. The Governor was the pressing issue as they did not know when he was going to strike next. In the meantime, Scarlett tried to keep Rick's spirits up with helping him as much as possible with anything. She knew he appreciated it.

"So there's a breach here?" Rick asked, pointing to a drawing of the prison Glenn had made. Tyreese nodded.

"Shit, man, if you're worried about them people getting in, you should be. Walkers are just strolling in," Tyreese told him with a nod.

Glenn shook his head. "We cleared that whole area," he groaned.

Scarlett smiled tightly. "So we clear it again. It's all we can do." Sasha smiled at Scarlett as the redhead walked over with Judith. "We can take a group here," she pointed to an area on the map, "and have them repair the hole with what we have. The other group will be their cover."

"Right," Rick agreed. "Glenn, Dar—" he sighed. "Glenn, Maggie, Michonne, and I will be the patching group while Carl, Sophia, Scarlett, and Sasha can cover us. Carol, I need you, Axel, and Tyreese on watch. Eyes on each direction. Hershel and Beth will stay in here and watch Judith. Guns and knives on all of you."

"Sounds good," Hershel said, smiling slightly at Rick. "We have enough supplies for the patching?"

"We have the shit outside," Maggie said, ignoring Hershel scolding her. "Daryl—" Scarlett looked down. "Daryl had helped take a part some stuff to give us extra materials."

"All right, let's get to it," Rick said with a nod to them all.

Scarlett kissed Judith's head, slowly putting her in Beth's awaiting arms. She turned to Carl and Sophia, gesturing for them to give her their guns. They did so and let her check their ammo. Once she was satisfied, she gave it back to them.

"What's the rule?"

"Don't fire unless necessary," Carl and Sophia drawled with a roll of their eyes. Scarlett flicked both of their foreheads before she smiled in an amused manner.

Sasha walked next to Scarlett as they stood a few inches behind the others. Scarlett kept her face neutral as he played with her hunting knife. Sasha glanced at her a few times as if she was debating asking something.

Scarlett finally moved her gaze to Sasha with a questioning look.

"I just wanted to know if you were with Rick?" Sasha asked. "Well, I have a million questions, but that's my first one. I think yes, but I wanted to make sure." Scarlett nodded with a small smiled as she glanced at Rick ahead. He was talking to Glenn about something. "Carl and Judith are his kids?" Another nod. "You're good with them. Sophia, too. You were meant to be a mother, that's for sure. You want any of your own?"

Scarlett hesitated. Before, she would have said no. She would not want them in her trauma-filled life. She did not even think she would ever find a man willing to deal with her issues. Still, now, though she wanted a baby of her own, would it be right in this harsh world? She did not know the answer to that. Shrugging, that was all the answer she could give.

"I noticed you don't talk much," Sasha said after a moment, "but you're a good leader. Rick's lucky to have you in his ear helping out. I wanted to thank you again for taking us in. Tyreese and I were running out of hope."

Scarlett twirled her knife as she said, "Hope is all we have left. Lose it, you lose everything." With that, she walked forward to Carl and Sophia and told them to get ready. "Rick?"

Rick glanced at her before making sure everyone was ready. Rick opened the door that led to the walker-infested area again. They all were in a tight formation as they killed the walkers that lurked in the rooms and hallways. When they managed to get to the breached area, Rick shouted for them to get in position. Sasha and Scarlett let the children be between them as they covered the others.

Glenn and Rick were trying to make this as quick as possible, but Maggie and Michonne were trying to make sure they did not fuck it up. Carl looked to Scarlett as walkers got too close, and she nodded. Carl let his bullet fly as the walker prepared to get Maggie. Sophia's followed as they all protected the ones fixing the breach.

They did not have enough materials to fix it completely, but it was well enough that walkers could not just stroll in. They had wood nailed into the walls, and they even backed away to the next room and make that wall reinforced as well. It seemed to be okay now as they managed to secure the prison back.

Scarlett smiled when Carl came over to her, asking if she was impressed by his shooting. She, of course, nodded her head. The walk back to Cell Block C was cheerful, knowing that they had gotten something done.

Rick threw his arm over Scarlett's shoulder when he reached her, kissing the side of her head. She leaned into his touch, feeling the warmth of his body pressed to hers.

As if the world was laughing at them, they made another small step forward, and anyone could guess what came next...

Two steps back.

Gunshots were fired causing the group to break out into a run. Rick shouted for Sophia and Carl to go into a tower and stay hidden while the others ran outside immediately to see what laid in front of them.

The Governor drove through their fence with a large truck, and they opened the back. Shooting them some more, walkers came out from the truck to join the party.

Scarlett cursed as she fired her gun at the walkers before feeling a stinging pain in her shoulder. She felt herself falling in no time—her head hitting the ground so hard that she went unconscious.