-65-

waiting for our moment

SCARLETT WAS FORCED TO SIT BY ALMOST EVERYONE WHEN THEY MADE CAMP. She offered to help hunt, and she was shocked when every head turned and told her no. Crossing her arms, she muttered, "Well fuck me then. Y'all do all the work." And she sat her happy ass next to Carl, grabbing Judith from his arms.

Abraham laughed quietly. "Like that one," he told Tara as he walked by.

Scarlett bounced Judith on her legs while everyone made the camp secure for the moment. Daryl wanted to hunt, and the others simply needed rest.

Carl had gotten up with Sophia, a blush on his cheeks when she grabbed his hand, and Scarlett was left with Judith.

"Hell, it's always you and me, huh, kid? Mommy's gon' be your best friend after all this hanging out," she murmured, kissing Judith's head.

A twig broke next to her, and she turned to see Rick standing there. "I never thanked you."

"Whatever for?" she asked, patting the spot next to her. Rick looked around for a moment. "You can sit for two seconds. I missed your ugly ass, Rick. Them dickwads can deal with their leader sittin' for—"

Rick laughed quietly, cutting her off.

"Don' know if the pregnancy hormones are kickin' in or what, but you've never been so outspoken," he teased, finally sitting down. "I meant thanks for savin' Judy. Keepin' her safe this past week or so. Carl and I... we thought she was dead. Thought you were."

Scarlett sighed, letting Judith go to Rick when she made grabby hands. "I would've gotten her again in a heartbeat. I'm glad it was me who found her."

"Me too. So, Daryl and Beth? How was that?"

"Stressful," she replied honestly. "But we didn't die. And Carol saved my life. We're square."

Rick hummed, nodding.

"Are you gon' acknowledge it?" she asked, gesturing to her stomach.

"I did," he said before adding, "the hormones?"

Scarlett scoffed as Tyreese was passing. "Hormones or superpowers? Had Judith swaddled to her chest and fought off walkers. Took out that guy at the shack in no time when he threatened that baby. Momma's got superpowers when it comes to her kids."

Everyone laughed, and Scarlett looked down, not wanting to remember how she bit the man's neck.

"Had to keep 'er safe," Scarlett told Rick.

Rick smiled before it fell noticing the blood still caked in her hair and ears. He stood up, extending his hand for her to take. "Come on. While we're stopped by that creek we should wash up."

After giving Judith to Sophia, Rick led Scarlett to the creek where Carol was leaving. Scarlett let Rick take the towel he brought and wipe the blood from her.

"What happened?" he asked. "You got all stiff when Tyreese mentioned that guy."

"Don' wanna relive that. I had to do it, Rick," she murmured. "Had to protect Judith."

"No one's judging you, darlin'. No one," he whispered, wiping her ears good. He wet the rag, getting the blood out of it as he crouched down to her stomach. He lifted her shirt up, smiling at the small bump. She was morning sick so many weeks before the prison fell. He assumed she was at least two months pregnant. The bump was hardly there, and maybe he was just seeing things, but he did not care. He placed a kiss on her stomach, his beard tickling her and making her giggle. "We all have done things to survive. It's what we do. And we are surviving. For Carl. Judith. And this little one."

"You're not mad?" she whispered.

"No," Rick muttered. "Mad at my pull out game? Of course. But hey, no condoms and you naked lead to bad decisions. We knew Glenn was stealin' them all anyway."

Scarlett laughed loudly at his words.

"Nah, just thinkin' of Lori. Can't help it."

"Don't. Don't think like that, Rick," she whispered. "You can't. It'll just ruin everything if we only think of the bad. I'm gon' be all right. There are more people here. More of a chance. I'm not too far. We'll find something safe. Please. I know Lori wouldn't want you thinkin' it."

Rick stood up from his crouched position smiling wider than he had in days. He kissed her firmly on the mouth, eyes shutting on their own accord.

"Hey, you're right. Okay? We're all lookin' after Jude. Lookin' after you. We'll get through this." She nodded. "Now, go eat something."

Scarlett nodded, kissing his cheek once before leaving back to camp. As she walked through the woods, she saw a walker coming for Glenn as he spoke to Tara. They did not see it. All these people, and they didn't see it?

Scarlett grumbled something along the lines of, "Fuckin' pricks. Tired of them," before she took her machete out of its holster. She tackled the zombie to the ground catching the attention of the others. She stabbed the walker in the head right through his eyeballs. She felt arms grabbing her, and she shook her head.

"Get off, I'm fine!" she called to the pair of hands. She noticed it was Abraham.

"Oh, I think everyone knows that," Abraham commented. "You just tackled him with largest pair of balls I've seen."

Rick walked over, glancing at the walker with a scowl. "All right?" he asked her.

"M'fine. We should keep moving," she told him.

Rick smirked, grabbing the wet towel and wiped the blood off of her once more after nodding to Abraham.

Abraham kicked the walker in the face as Rick took Scarlett to the camp while muttering something about the baby. Abraham looked at Rosita as she came to check on him. He nodded toward Scarlett and Rick.

"Right there is why we're waiting for our moment," he told Rosita.

She bit her lip, holding back a smile. "Yeah, fair enough."