-96-

the new plan

the new plan

SCARLETT TOOK THE LEAD AS RICK RUSHED OFF TO THE RV. She held her rifle tightly as the others helped those who were injured. She saw Heath looking at them warily, and she wondered why his attitude had suddenly changed. Sighing, she just kept moving. It was all she could do.

"We're ahead of it. 10 minutes. 20 minutes, maybe. We all keep up the pace, we all get back home," Scarlett told them.

"So if we don't, that's it, huh?" a man sneered. Scarlett kept her gaze forward as she narrowed her eyes. "We don't even know what's waiting for us."

David, the man who was bit but still fighting like hell to get home, cut him off. "It's gonna be okay. We have walls for a reason."

"That sound. Maybe someone plowed right through," the first man said with a shake of his head. "Maybe we're walking back to nothing."

"Shh, my wife's back there," David hissed.

"Mine, too," Glenn added.

"My newborn is there. My two other kids are there, too. You don't think I'm worried? All we can do is get back and hope for the best," Scarlett said, keeping a level-head.

Glenn nodded. "Look, don't worry about what's gone wrong. Figure out how to make this go right."

"We're moving in the same direction everything else is. We're gonna catch up with something," the man replied.

"We're gonna catch up with a lot of things and we're gonna end them. We have no choice. We gotta keep going forward," Michonne added.

They made it to a small town. There was a few stores and shops, and she saw a dealership. Walkers were coming at them, so Michonne pulled out her sword while Glenn and Scarlett cocked their guns.

They took care of the walkers just as they suddenly saw the man who was scared take off running.

"Sturgess!" Glenn shouted.

Scarlett sighed, looking down. She had not even known his name. "We keep moving."

They walked through the town, and Scarlett smiled as David came to walk next to her. "You're doing good," he told her. "We'll make it."

"Thanks," Scarlett whispered.

David nodded before he gestured back to his bite. "Is it bad?"

Scarlett smiled tightly. "It's about what you'd expect."

"Huh, didn't expect this."

Scarlett nodded, trying to keep his spirits up. "How long you been married?"

"Three months. She wasn't my wife from before."

"How'd you meet?"

"It was early on," David told her. "Aaron found me. I was alone, lost everything. Everyone. Myself, I–I wasn't crazy. I just gave up on being someone, an actual person. Know what I mean?"