-91-

the meeting

the meeting

IT WAS DARK AND LATE. Neither Glenn, Sasha, Father Gabriel, nor Rick were there, and Scarlett was getting worried. She needed to find him, but Maggie kept her there everytime she tried to stand. Deanna was watching Scarlett with curious eyes.

"We're going to start," Deanna said after a moment. The people from Alexandria and Rick's group seemed separated. She knew they were meant to be one, but right now, there was a clear distinction.

"Can we wait?" Maggie retorted. "There's still people coming. Glenn, Rick."

"Sasha and Gabriel should be here," Scarlett murmured, pulling her sleeves down as people looked at her judgmentally. "Rick was right behind me."

"We're going to start. It's already dark," Deanna said instead as she stood up like the Queen she was. "We're going to talk about what happened. Not the fight. Not what precipitated it. We're dealing with that. We're going to talk about one of our constables, Rick Grimes, and his wife, Scarlett Grimes. We're going to talk about how he had a pistol he stole from the armory, about how he pointed it at people. How she pointed her gun at people. And we're going to talk about what they said. I was hoping he'd be here."

"They said he's coming," Michonne snarled out.

"I'm sure he'll be here. And I'm sure we can work this all out," Carol finished with a fake smile.

Scarlett tapped her foot anxiously as Deanna gave the people the floor. Rick's group had to speak first or they would lose. They had to change the people's opinions.

Michonne began. "When Scarlett's boy Carl saved me, Rick and the others were not sure they wanted me around. They were ready to send me away to protect their family, but Scarlett had and still has a big heart. She saved me. Brought me food. Water. She took care of me while taking care of her grieving boyfriend and his kids. She has the biggest heart out of all of us. And Rick? Rick has been their leader from the beginning. He has made tough calls, sure, but he made them because no one else would. And after being out there and then not being how you were out there... it can drive you crazy. Rick just wants his family to live. He wants all of you to live. Who he is... who Scarlett is? Yeah, that's who you're gonna be... if you're lucky."

Scarlett smiled tightly at Michonne, reaching over to grab her hand.

"Rick Grimes saved my life over and over," Carol began. "There's terrifying people out there. And he rescued me from them. And Scarlett has been there for me through everything... even when I wasn't so nice to her. People like me, people like us need people like them. I know what happened last night was scary. And I'm sure he's sorry for that. I know Scarlett is. But maybe we should listen to what they were saying."

Abraham coughed to get the attention on him. Scarlett smirked a bit, catching his eye. "Simply put, there is a vast ocean of shit you people don't know shit about. Rick knows every fine grain of said shit... and then some. That woman there saved us tens of thousands of times while carrying a baby in her stomach. She's got bigger balls than all of you combined, and I'll say you fuckers need her. You need Rick."