-85-

panic

panic

DEANNA WAS HOLDING A PARTY IN THE FAVOR OF THEIR GROUP BECOMING A PART OF ALEXANDRIA. Scarlett was not sure how she felt about it yet as she still was overwhelmed with everything. She tried to find Daryl to calm her nerves as Rick and Michonne started their jobs today, and she was feeling a bit lonely. Turns out, Daryl went out to hunt or to just get away. She sighed in disappointment that everyone had a job or had something to do in Sasha's case, but she was pregnant. And in Deanna's words, that meant not useful.

She was glad for the few days off of relaxation, but now, she was itching to get out. She was itching to move and hunt and be free again.

She felt closed in.

Her breaths began to pick up, and she clawed a bit at her chest. Shaking her head, she tried to remember the last time she had a panic attack. When they left the prison, she remembered getting one when she was separated from Daryl and Beth. One with Carol? But the worst one she ever had? God, it seemed so long ago because they truly never had time to just sit and breathe. It was at the prison after Sophia was almost killed falling from a tower. Carl had grabbed her hand, screaming for help.

Deep breath in. Deep breath out.

She knew Rick was planning to hide guns. He told her everything, but he did not want her going out the wall for when he, Carol, and Daryl were meeting. She knew he was trying to protect her, but she needed out.

In. Out.

Crying caught her attention. Judith needed her.

In. Out.

In through the nose. Out through the mouth.

Daryl calmed her best when Rick wasn't around. Why'd he have to go?

In. Out.

"Mom!?"

Carl. Carl, get your father. Get Rick.

"Hey, calm down. We're okay. What's wrong!? Breathe!"

Judith was screaming. She was probably hungry. Or scared. Was Carl still screaming?

"I need—" Scarlett began before her throat closed.

Carl rushed out of the house, yelling for help. Scarlett stared at the wall in front of her. It was getting closer to her. Was it? When did she fall on her knees? She could not breathe.

"Hey, hey, look at me," Tara said softly as her face appeared in Scarlett's vision. It was blurry. Tara was blurry. "Hey, Scarlett. Rosita!"

Rosita rushed inside, the two women being the only two nearby. Carl was going to get his Dad, but he was sure the two could handle it. They had to.

Scarlett noticed Rosita come inside but gave no indication that she saw her.

"All right, Momma, I need you to breathe. Can you do that?" Rosita asked, kneeling down. "Listen to me. In." She breathed in. "Out." She breathed out. "Tara, get Judith."

Judith's cries began to calm down as Rosita got Scarlett breathing again. Rosita was smiling softly at Scarlett, nodding as she reached out to grab her hand. Scarlett flinched before she remembered where she was. For a moment, she felt like she was in her Daddy's basement again. How stupid and strange was that?

When Rosita reached again, Scarlett let her take her hand.

"Yeah, we're okay, right?"

Scarlett noticed she was talking to someone. Rick. When did he get there? He looked out of breath with Carl behind him. Scarlett tilted her head before she used Rosita's help to stand.

"I can't. I'm sorry," she whimpered to them, no one knowing what she meant.

Scarlett left the house with Rick calling after her.

Rosita sighed, ruffling Carl's hair. "She's got a lot on her mind. You okay to watch Jude? We gotta get back to work."

"Yeah," Carl whispered, taking Judith from Tara.

Rick followed Scarlett as she walked to the gate. They passed Deanna who looked concerned. Pete yelled that Scarlett should be resting. Jessie asked if they needed help with anything. Scarlett ignored them all as Rick politely answered as he muttered to Deanna that he would be right back on duty in a few minutes.

Scarlett commanded Nicholas to open the gate.

"Where are you goin', Scar?" Rick whispered as he let her leave the gate. He knew she needed it even though he wanted her to stay in the walls forever. "Scarlett, answer me."

"It's all fake!" she yelled as the gate closed behind them. She had her hunting knife in her hands. "Christ, it's all a big fucking joke, Rick! I can't sit in there doing nothing. That's not the world anymore. The world is out here."

"I agree with you," Rick told her immediately. He got closer, making her lower her arm. "I agree, but lower your voice. Don' want to attract walkers."

"No, I do," Scarlett yelled.

"Scarlett," Rick grumbled, pulling her closer when she tried to walk off. "I get it, okay? But for right now, you need to stay inside these walls and safe. That baby is on its way out. You can't be out here when she decides."

Scarlett fell slack in Rick's arms, nodding. They heard snarling to their right. The groan of the single walker got louder as it got closer. Scarlett pushed off of Rick, walking toward it.

"Scarlett—"

"Just let me, and I'll come back in," Scarlett told him, getting closer to it. Its teeth were falling off its jaw. Its face was half melted. Its body had a large piece of its ribs missing. Scarlett pushed it back, smirking a bit. "Yeah, you ain't so bad."

"Just kill it."

Scarlett clicked her tongue, calling it forward. She kicked its knees in, having it fall down. She slashed her knife straight through its skull, watching it fall limp as blood soaked her hand from going too far in.

She turned, smirking. "We can't get weak."

"You won't ever be weak, darlin'. We all know that," Rick commented, a small smile making its way on his face. "Now, you'll come back inside?"

"Yeah," Scarlett muttered, wiping her knife on her shirt. She holstered it before wiping her hand on her jeans. "Y'know, that was my first panic attack since the prison fell. I thought I outgrew them. Guess I didn't change as much as I thought."

"Some things we can't get rid of. But we're all here for you, Scar. You know that," Rick promised, leaning to kiss her forehead.

Scarlett nodded just as a sharp pain went through her stomach. She crouched down, breathing heavily as she groaned aloud at the pain getting worse. "Rick! Something's wrong!"

Rick glanced at those on watch, his eyes wide with panic. "SASHA! GET PETE. IT'S THE BABY!"