-44-

preparing

preparing

CARL WAS HELPING SCARLETT MAKE SOME ARROWS FOR DARYL'S CROSSBOW. He was beginning to run low, and while they could not make ammo right now, this was as good as anything. Glenn and Maggie had gone to look for ammo with Carol ever since Rick came back from the meeting.

Scarlett noticed Rick pacing around as he spoke to Hershel, Tyreese, and Daryl. Carl noticed her gaze as he tied another arrow.

"What's wrong?" he asked her.

"Just worried 'bout the Governor and my Daddy. Your Dad's got a good plan, but what if it isn't enough?" she whispered as Sophia came out of a cell holding a blubbering Judith. "You, Soph, 'nd Judith are everything to me. We can't lose."

Carl threw the final arrow in the pile as he stood up. "You can't think like that."

Scarlett glanced at Rick while nodding. "You're right."

"Usually am," Carl jeered with a grin.

Scarlett stood up, taking his hat from his head and placing it on her own. He jumped, trying to grab it. She twisted his body around, holding his arms down as she tickled him. "Say it again!" she laughed.

Everyone stopped what they were doing, smiling at the pair as Carl laughed so hard while she giggled behind him and tickled his sides. They ended up back on the ground as Carl shouted, "I'm usually right!"

Scarlett placed the hat over his head so he could not see. "Just for that, go do some reading." Carl groaned from under the hat as they heard a babbled laugh come from Judith. Scarlett grinned as Judith clapped her little hands at the scene. "Jude agrees."

Carl shoved himself up and mock-glared at his sister. "Supposed to be on my side, Jude!"

Sophia laughed as she handed Scarlett Judith. "Come on, Carl," she said while grabbing his hand and leading him to their 'reading corner.'

Scarlett was still chuckling as she watched Carl flush and place his hat back on his head properly.

Rick walked over to Scarlett as she bounced Judith while singing a childish jig. He smiled as he stared at her red curls bouncing everywhere with each move, and he his smile only grew at Judith's giggles. He felt his smile fall as he thought of what was to come. He placed his hand on her back, leading her into Beth's cell because it was the closest.

"What's wrong?" she asked him after he glanced to make sure no one was looking or listening in, though the men he was just talking to knew all about it.

"I was not completely honest with you earlier," he told her. She tilted her head, eyes narrowing. "Governor said he would let it all go if I gave him something."

Scarlett stepped forward. "What?"

"Michonne. He wanted Michonne."

Immediately, Scarlett's eyes went to where Michonne was sitting talking to Beth about something. Michonne smiled at her when she caught the woman's eyes. Scarlett shook her head. "No—"

"I know, darlin'," he told her quickly. "It crossed my mind... to end it all, but I couldn't do that to anyone. But I just wanted you to know there was a way out, but my morals would not allow it."

"You're a good man, Rick," Scarlett said honestly. She heard Sasha yell that Glenn, Maggie, and Carol were back. "You are still going to King's County?"

"Need to," Rick said softly. "Carl wants to go, and I think I know more places that might have guns." She nodded. "I'm thinkin' of takin' Michonne. Best get her out and see how she acts 'round us on a run. You think it'll be all right?"

Scarlett smiled softly. "S'long as you think so."

He nodded. "Best we go now since it's still early. Should be able to get back a little after nightfall."

"Go, Sheriff," she teased, kissing him softly. "Be careful."

Rick kissed her once more before walking out of the cell and asking for Michonne and Carl to get their stuff together. Carl's eyes grew wide with excitement as he stood up to get his gun. Michonne looked surprised but nodded nonetheless. She gave Beth a pat on the shoulder before getting her things.

Daryl glanced at Scarlett before looking over at Sophia. He walked over to Scarlett and said, "M'gon' take Soph on watch. I want her to practice wit' her gun. I'll put the silencer."

"Good idea," Scarlett said. "Run it by Carol, but don't waste too many bullets."

After Daryl left with Sophia, Scarlett had Tyreese and Sasha come with her to the fences to kill some walkers that had piled up. The siblings were hilarious when together. They kept Scarlett laughing, and each moment, Scarlett was grateful for the fact that she made them stay with the prison.

The rest of the day went the same as they prepared for the Governor. They could hear Sophia taking down a few walkers near the tower while Glenn and Hershel solidified their plans when the Governor showed up. Scarlett was getting things ready by packing things up since their plan involved them 'disappearing' from the prison. Everything was beginning to go as planned until Rick came back from his run.

Carl and Michonne were joking and having more of a relationship while they also found many guns and ammunition. It looked to be a good day. Successful.

Nothing ever stayed that way when it came to their group, and Scarlett was just beginning to accept it. What else could she do?