43

Kai

"Sorry about that, you know how us weres are, controlled by our emotions."
"Yeah," Henry said, touching his face. "I know."
"But it's not ok. And this is exactly why we need a competent alpha to make sure things like that," I indicated to his face, "don't go unchecked."
I breathed heavily as I slid into the chair next to him.
"Why did you say Hufflepuff?" Henry asked looking at me with questions floating around in his eyes. He seemed sharp and I could tell he was analyzing the situation.
"Oh, anytime either of us starts to get really angry we always just shout out a ridiculous word and it always helps the other pause in what they are doing," I said feeling a heat behind my cheeks as I thought of the safeword I had to come up with during times when Shadow was being dominant alpha male.
"That's a good idea. Think it would work for my dad?" He joked. "So I guess playing the new call of duty is out."
"Yeah sorry about that. Shadow couldn't think of a ridiculous word to get me out of my mood," I lied. "I have another one at my house across the street. But my dad is also a prick and I don't want to go anywhere near him."
Henry nodded, understanding lighting his features. "Does he hit you too?"
I hated to admit it but the kid did just pour his soul out to me and cried about his troubles not too long ago so it felt wrong to brush him off. "He used to. Before Shadow put a stop to it."
Henry looked at me with a knowing look in his eyes. "I'm shocked Shadow is just a beta. He gives off alpha vibes. I mean I didn't realize it before, he's always trailing behind you like a lost puppy, but today," he shivered. "I damn near fell to the floor. Did you see his face? Major alpha vibes." Fuck Shadow, not good. I tried to school my features, wishing I had the poker face that Shadow had.
"He has his moments," I muttered getting up, not wanting to talk about it anymore as I started cleaning up the dishes I had dirtied to make his food.
"Moment? I mean you're an alpha and he had you by your neck. And you didn't wolf out."
I shrugged. "He's been my best friend forever." I said like that would explain it. I was his best friend and his alpha side didn't allow me to display dominance like that.
Ok now I was annoyed. I couldn't help it, I knew Henry didn't mean to but he was poking at spots he shouldn't. He's been here all but one hour, if that. And even he could spot what was wrong with this picture. It was a bad idea letting him stay. We should have booked a motel. It was hard for us to hide what we were already and at home, damn near impossible. Suddenly a week seemed like forever.
"My mom was an omega," Henry finally whispered and I looked at him in shock. Omegas were supposed to be rare. But now that's four omegas now that I've heard used to be around and I seemed to be the only one who was still around. It made me nervous as hell. Should I be running far away too? Like all the others.
"Henry..." I warned with a glad. I opened my mouth to tell him off and to not assume just because of what happened that made me an omega.
He stood up and looked at me in the eyes. "I won't tell anyone your secret." My heart dropped. Of course if he had a loved one who was an omega he'd be able to spot the signs. Fuck. How? My mind raced over everything. Because why did I have to be an omega too? Couldn't I have been beta? He just said himself he almost fell over from Shadows anger. So why did his mind jump to that? Was it because of how Shadow got possessive of me? Would it not be that way if he loved a beta? Ugh my head was spinning.
"What happened to her?" I couldn't help but ask while also confirming his suspicions.
He looked down. "The last I saw her, the alpha was dragging her away. I tried to stop him but my father knocked me out: didn't even fight for her. Hell, even before the alpha came for her, my father was horrible to her. It was a game for him, to make her submit to him. Being a beta, you don't get to control and dominate others. Not unless you find yourself an omega."
"I'm sorry," I breathed. "How did she last so long though, under the alphas radar?" I knew I should have been denying everything until the end but it felt good to come out. I'm an omega and I couldn't change that but it sucked to live in fear because of how everyone would react to the news.
"We just moved to town five years ago. We had to run from the last pack when they found out what she was. The worst part? We ran, not because my father was worried for her. But because he didn't want to lose his toy," he spat the word. "I hope never to be like him. I hate it." He burst into tears and I pulled him into a hug, knowing I should and that Shadow would kill us both if he were here.
"Just don't let Shadow know, you know. He might not let you live," I said when he pulled back.
Henry gulped. As he should. I wasn't sure Shadow wouldn't track him down later just for a simple arm squeeze. He seemed the type. Maybe he was a serial killer. He talked about killing as if it were the solution to all his problems. I worried for him. He could get himself killed by killing the wrong person.
"I'm starting to think omegas aren't so rare, I've heard a few similar stories from pack members, and others, seems to me it's more common than what we were led to believe. Omegas probably just go into hiding for obvious reasons."
Henry shook his head. "It shouldn't be that way." He scratched his head. "Shadow's pissed off at me isn't he? That story about the PlayStation was a lie?"
"Kind of. Only Shadow did destroy it, not me. And he met with the alpha today so it was already in a bad mood. But that's not your fault he knew you were coming to stay, he's still trying to learn to control his..." I trailed off, "jealousy." I ended weakly, staring off at the front door worrying my lower lip. Poor Shadow, I wondered how he was dealing. It couldn't have been easy today; dealing with the alpha and pretending to not be one himself.
"Don't worry I'll keep a distance," he got up and moved over a chair. "Don't want to get my head ripped off," he muttered as he dug into his food.
I stood up. "Serious, Shadow has killed before and he's not afraid to kill again. Don't tell a soul. Also, make yourself at home," I added when his head wiped up to stare at me with an open mouth. "There's an empty room down the hall upstairs. The last to the left. Keep the front door locked. There's a key to the back door outside under the mat."
He blinked and nodded giving me a thumbs up. "Thanks again man, I owe you guys, big time. What you two are doing for everyone in the community won't go unnoticed."
"That's what I'm afraid of," I muttered as I walked away, knowing he meant it in a good way but it was true, eventually it would get out that we were doing too much here. And the alpha would be pissed. I'm sure it would make him and the parents look bad if it got out that we were looking out for the young wolves because they were slacking in doing it themselves. Pausing at the door, I called back, "hey what really gave me away?"
"The axe body spray was suspicious, and what just happened confirmed," he called back. "I just connected a few dots, sorry." Fuck. I had to be more careful. I didn't know Henry well, he could end up being a lose end that got me caught up. And the next werewolf might be outright horrible about it and run screaming to everyone who would listen. I needed to tread carefully and I knew I really couldn't let Shadow know. Henry would end up missing I bet.
Grabbing Shadow's jeep keys, I went out to pick him up. Dialing him, he didn't answer and I wondered how pissed off he was that I used the safe word. He probably thought he wouldn't be able to come back around for a full day, which was fine; it's what i wanted, but for other type of situations. This was just an emergency situation where I needed him to back off. Even though the damage had already been done with Henry having experience with omegas and noticing too much. Others would have brushed it off, not wanting to even think that way or offend me by assuming. Ugh. What a mess.
Ringing him again, he still didn't answer.
I guess I had to hunt him down.