Part 1: Tokyo Air Raid, Again | Chapter 1

Cataclysm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Minato Ward, Tokyo: Securities Company

"What is happening...?"

The dealer, a young man of talent and skill, looked at the nearly ten monitors lined up alternately and let out a murmur of anxiety. Algorithms created by the best modern mathematics responded immediately to the slightest price fluctuation, determining the winners and losers. New millionaires are born, and someone falls into great poverty. The fiercest of these juggernauts is the New York Stock Exchange, where a chart showing the status of the market has just opened, but after a certain point, the chart has broken down.

"Maybe it's falling?"

"Looks like it... the selling and buying are no good."

"You gotta be kidding me, dude."

A buzzing, uneasy atmosphere filled the trading room. Some people clapped their cheeks and squinted their eyes, while others still tried to place orders. However, the situation showed no sign of improvement.

"Let's just find out what's going on," the mature senior instructed in a curt tone. He then took a sip of coffee to calm his nerves.

To be honest, he didn't want to think about the loss. But it's true that fussing about it won't fix it.

"It's probably just a system failure or something. It will be fixed in time."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Toda City, Saitama Prefecture: Sports Izakaya

"The live broadcast is currently having trouble connecting..."

On the large 80-inch plasma TV, the famous announcer, whose fast-paced play-by-play commentary is a big hit, apologized.

"We apologize for the inconvenience to our viewers..."

"Eeeehhhh..."

The team on the screen was originally supposed to be the Japanese national soccer team. But right after the Japanese scored a goal against the powerful French team in an international match in Marseille, the live broadcast suddenly stopped. The cheering section of the university rowing team, who had gathered at a sports bar and had been in high spirits with a beer in their hands until a few minutes before, clamored.

"What the hell, it's getting good..."

"What a mess."

One after another, the young men who regularly go to the eatery grumbled. Even the girl who brought the French fries, Caesar salad, and a pitcher of Kirin seemed apologetic. One of them, who had just taken out his smartphone and started to play with it, looked gobsmacked.

"Huh, I can't connect to Twitter?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Itabashi Ward, Tokyo: Route 17

"I envy you, customer-san," said the cab driver in a jovial mood as he pulled into the right turn lane at a red light intersection.

The customers were an alcoholic man and a woman – the woman is more than a year younger than the man. He must have taken her out of some restaurant. Tomorrow is a weekday, but they are in high spirits.

"Ahaha, right, right. Mari says... she doesn't like walking..."

"I've already had a drink..."

"I'm a gentleman, so I called a cab."