Part 6: Prefinals | Chapter 70

Hellfire

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shinjuku Ward, Tokyo: Ministry of Defense

"I'm going to be honest with you. The West Coast is no more. I am sorry to say this out of the blue, but it is true."

"Soon there will be a huge air raid in the south, and that will be the beginning of the end. Soon the whole area will be targeted, so all good American citizens should fleet to the east before the flames touch you. You will come a bit later, when the raids have stopped."

"I'm sorry, but it's going to be a bitter, painful end. Well then, it's time for me to leave. Goodbye."

These words were broadcasted in English from a radio station in Alaska to the entire United States. The members of the Directorate for Joint Intelligence of the Defense Intelligence Headquarters were amazed and laughed at the artificial synthetic voice with the name "Tokyo Rose 2nd" and the text that seemed to have been created only as a joke, but they seriously evaluated the effectiveness of the broadcast.

"How's this call for an evacuation?" Colonel Kagaya, Director of the Joint Intelligence, asked.

Major Okada, who was working on his desktop, immediately turned around and sighed, shrugging his shoulders.

"After the air raid in May, there was chaos everywhere, but things have been strangely calm lately."

"I'm not interested in their fate," Kagaya said. "But why is that? If it were Japan, school children would have been evacuated already."

"I guess they are unaware of it. The air raid on their mainland came just before the victory."

"I see. Well, final confirmation. How are the enemy night fighters on the West Coast doing?"

"They are not moving," Okada said and displayed the necessary data on his desktop screen.

An RQ-4B Global Hawk deployed forward to Elmendorf and stayed at an altitude of nearly 20.000 meters above North America. Among the aeronautical radio records acquired by the drone, those issued at night on the West Coast were extracted under specific conditions. When these were tallied by day, it was clear that there had been a significant decrease since three days before the raid, which also served as a field test of the kamikaze drone. The US military had also been training P-80s and F7Fs to operate as night fighters, but all of their bases had been destroyed.

"In addition, the anti-aircraft artillery groups have been silenced."

"Nothing wrong with that, all right."

A bored Kagaya nodded and picked up the telephone to make his final report.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

California: sky over the Channel Islands

A large, jet-black, twin-engine aircraft moved in formation through the atmosphere as if it had melted into outer space. It was a B-777B bomber, sold to the Japanese Air Self-Defense Force by the airline industry, which had absolutely no idea what to do with the plane, and the result of another aggressive upgrade. Underneath the cabin, which had been stripped of all passenger seats and galleys, was loaded with more concentrated incendiary bombs than the total weight of a main battle tank.

Needless to say, those were aimed at Los Angeles. Some of the pilots, who had changed jobs or returned to the SDF, grumbled about how the familiar air routes had changed, and pointed the nose of their planes toward the city with a population of over 1,5 million.