Chapter 69 - Same Old Tomorrow

Prime Minister's Office: Prime Minister's Press Conference

Before we start, I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to all those who are still fighting in various parts of the world, and to all those who are making efforts to protect our daily lives. Although there are signs of improvement in the war situation, such as the start of full-scale transport of supplies from various parts of Asia, the time-space cataclysm and the confusion that accompanies it are still continuing, and the government will continue to do its utmost to overcome the situation and rebuild the lives of the people.

In the midst of this unprecedented disaster and warfare, we have decided to dissolve the House of Representatives and hold a general election on the same day. We have received some very severe criticism for dissolving the Diet in this time of emergency. However, in order to ask for further cooperation from the people, who are still enduring unreasonable hardships, and to proceed with full force in this war, which is likely to become even more severe in the future, we must firmly gain the confidence of the people. It is precisely in these most difficult times that we must return to the basics and consider the reasons why we have been entrusted with this administration. Based on this belief, we have been appealing our policies in every corner of the country, aiming to win two-thirds of the seats in the House of Representatives and 60% of the seats in the House of Councillors with the ruling coalition of the Liberal Democratic Party and Justice Party.

As a result, we have exceeded our goals for the first time since the party's inception. We have received strong support from the people of Japan. The number of seats in the House of Representatives held by the Liberal Democratic Party alone, in addition to the seats held by the ruling coalition, has reached exactly two-thirds of the seats in the House of Representatives. In the House of Councillors, we won a record 31 seats in 32 single-seat constituencies nationwide, and the coalition won 80 seats, far more than 60% of the seats up for election. I would like to express my sincere gratitude to the people of Japan for their support, encouragement, and confidence in me, and I would like to express my sincere wish to get out of this difficult situation as soon as possible and return to our normal way of life.

In addition, as has already been reported, the voter turnout in this election reached a record high, although it is no longer clear what constitutes the past. I would like to thank all of you who supported us and went to the polls in spite of reduced public transportation and limited use of automobiles.

Elections are a battle between candidates and their supporters, but they are also a national event, held in accordance with the Constitution of Japan. I believe that the people of Japan, regardless of their positions and beliefs, have reaffirmed through this election the significance of casting their votes as members of the nation of Japan. I believe so. And because of this, we must humbly and steadily advance our policies and lead Japan to victory in this extraordinary war.

While keenly aware of the weight of such responsibility, I will brace myself without becoming conceited, and live up to the expectations of the people. I have just signed a coalition agreement with Mr. Yamaoka, the leader of the Justice Party. I also had an urgent phone conversation with Mr. Hosono, the leader of the newly formed largest opposition party, the Unity Party, and he confirmed that he would cooperate with us in proposing constitutional amendments and holding a national referendum. We are determined to overcome this difficult situation, which cannot be described by the term "national crisis," under the united cooperation of the ruling and opposition parties, based on the unshakable coalition of the Liberal Democratic Party and the Justice Party.

What is needed now... is nothing but victory. As has already been reported, the Self-Defense Forces defeated the United States Army in southern Alaska and took control of the Anchorage region, and the United States Pacific Fleet, which numbered more than 200 vessels, was reduced to rubble, thanks to the tremendous contribution of the Navy. Special bombing squadrons of brave ex-civilian pilots have struck the American mainland, destroying one after another their most important bases, including their nuclear facilities, and undermining their ability to conduct warfare.