Chapter 78 - Confirmation of War Results

Pacific Ocean: 1.000 km west-southwest of San Francisco

The escort vessel Shimakaze, along with her two companion ships, witnessed the entirety of the air raid that took place yesterday. It was an escort mission following the one off the coast of Alaska. The "First Fleet" was there to help out when it fell on hard times, or to rescue crews in the event of heavy losses, but the exposition dump-like anti-air weapons from civilian technology had achieved great results, even while breaking down spectacularly, so they could do nothing but watch. The result may have been obvious. After all, the enemy is blind.

"We're still not getting any action?" Lieutenant Commander Kikuchi, the gunnery chief, looked bored.

But that was probably for the best, he thought. It was not a good idea to expose a real escort ship – even the old Shimakaze required a lot of manpower – to a large-scale air raid. In addition, there was a strange psychological hesitation to participate in an anti-air combat. The Shimakaze was also equipped with VALS, which ensured its survivability even if it ran out of ammunition in the worst-case scenario – or perhaps it was because of that.

"Well, maybe it was for the best."

"Mm, that's quite good."

The captain of the ship, Commander Miyazawa's response was also not very impassioned. In addition, he looked a bit sleepy. The First Fleet had turned around, and after the sun had set, the American night attack continued. Of course, it only ended up adding to the casualties, but in the meantime, they had to stay packed in the CIC. And now, again, a large American plane formation was over the First Fleet, which was about 40 nautical miles east-northeast of the Shimakaze.

"Is it okay if we leave it there?"

Kikuchi took a glance at the CIC's display.

"It looks like a B-29."

"At an altitude of 10.000, it's a photo reconnaissance plane."

"Hm... are they trying to make it so that they can take weird pictures?"

"In fact, I heard that there is a special effects team on board. They used to work on Godzilla."

"Hah, I'd like an autograph, then."

Kikuchi thought that while he reacted nonchalantly, he was also thoughtful and thorough in that area. Yes, everything was so thorough that the elements of bargaining and competition have disappeared, and it was just a process.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Los Angeles, California: Union Station

The once opulent and modern station building had been replaced by what used to be a train station. The surrounding area was a burnt field, and only the reinforced concrete buildings barely retained their original shape. It looked like a burnt corpse, John thought, and almost vomited violently. Los Angeles was like a hell, and his mother, a strict but loving woman, was one of the piles of them in the morgue.

But even so, he tried his best not to utter a curse word. After all, his sister Jenny was by his side, and he had no choice but to protect her. Like the children waiting for the train, her young face was filled with anxiety, and when a gunshot echoed without warning, she jolted with fear.

"John..."

"It's okay, it's okay," John uttered as he hugged her.

The sound of gunfire was from the military, or a mob being subdued. He was simply frightened from the bottom of his heart by the world that had suddenly become irrational. But why was this happening? John couldn't answer the question that even the president could not answer.