Chapter 27 - Seeds of Confusion

San Francisco: Newspaper

"What, the Japs gassed our troops!?" the editor-in-chief screamed over the phone, shocking everyone in the room.

The caller was a young reporter who had been to the naval base for a dinner with the commander of the less conspicuous communications department. He thought he might be able to get some information about the war, but he came across a massive scoop.

"Bobby, what the heck is going on!?"

"That's what the commander said. You know what? He told me that they had lost contact with the Iwo Jima invasion force for the past five days and that it was being analyzed as if they had been wiped out by chemical weapons. If true, that's a big deal. Tens of thousands of people were killed."

"Darn, that sounds like something those dirty scumbags would do..."

The editor-in-chief, his face pale, gnashed his teeth. They attacked the ships at Pearl Harbor like cowards, and then, when they were losing ground, they gassed and killed the brave Marines. Fucking cunts, all of them, and the public must be made aware of this fact as soon as possible.

"Alright, Bobby, get back here as soon as you can."

"Okay, I'll be right back."

The phone went dead and the editor took one look at his watch. It was already late at night, and it would be too late for tomorrow morning's edition. If this was the case, it would have to be an extra issue. If they hurry up and turn the rotary press right now, they should be able to distribute it all over San Francisco by noon tomorrow.

"Guys, it's a big deal, as you've all heard. The Japs have used gas on Iwo Jima," the editor-in-chief announced loudly to his employees.

He had a very general sense of justice. In addition, he wanted to boost circulation with a scoop that no one else would get, so that his employees would be able to take advantage of their paychecks.

"Anyway, hurry up with the issue!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saipan Island: Kagman Airfield

"My career is in shambles," Major General LeMay muttered to himself as he looked at the transport planes undergoing maintenance.

Except for the five planes in question, the bombers had yet to return. It was believed that the Japanese had targeted the planes after they had suffered heavy damage over Tokyo and made an emergency landing on Iwo Jima. That analysis was delivered to the once-reconstructed XXI Bomber Command headquarters. Along with the order to remove him from office. What awaited them after they boarded the transport was a hearing, demotion, and transfer to the reserves. The same fate as General Kimmel who exposed his incompetence at Pearl Harbor.

'But why...?'

LeMay could not understand for a moment why the bad luck had befallen him. It is true that the troops under his command were hit hard when they tried the new tactics. But the analysis that low-altitude night bombing would be effective came from Army Intelligence. And he had never heard of the Japanese deploying powerful interceptors—perhaps jets, a type that could also engage in night combat—even at the level of uncertain rumors.

Moreover, based on past war lessons, it was difficult to believe that the appearance of a new enemy aircraft would lead to an immediate increase in damage. In fact, this was the case when the Germans introduced the Me 262, a crude jet fighter, which was so few in number and whose pilots were so unfamiliar with it that they were unable to employ effective tactics. The Allied pilots were initially shocked, but they quickly devised countermeasures, such as aiming to destroy them on the ground, and somehow managed to contain the threat. If this was the case, there must have been some other serious reason. LeMay then came up with a frightening possibility.