Chapter 5 - Losing Bearings

Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo: Prime Minister's Office

As soon as Prime Minister Tadahiko Kato arrived, the National Security Council meeting began. It was in the form of an emergency ministerial meeting. Chief Cabinet Secretary Eisuke Takano, Defense Minister Kimio Kusaka, and other concerned parties were gathered in a conference room on the first basement floor. Since there was no warning, some of them participated in the meeting via videoconferencing. Some of the participants were even unreachable.

"The Ground, Maritime, and Air Self-Defense Forces have been conducting thorough interception against the incoming group of unidentified aircraft. In conclusion, we believed that the threat has already been eliminated."

With a projected war situation map in the background, Hidemasa Mitsuya, the Chief of the Joint Staff, continued his explanation. Of the more than 300 unknown planes that flew in formation, the first quarter was destroyed by scrambled aircraft and surface-to-air missiles. The planes mainly in the rear half of the formation successfully penetrated the gaps in the air defense network and dropped bombs, causing extensive damage to the eastern part of the 23 wards and Urayasu City. As for the rear half, it was intercepted by a fully armed JASDF, and the last one was shot down a short while ago.

"Currently, the aircraft that have finished dropping their bombs are leaving in the direction of the Kashima Sea..."

"Joint Staff Chief, aren't they going to be shot down?" Kusaka raised his hand and asked.

"We will shoot them down over the Pacific to limit the damage. The JASDF planes are currently standing by."

"I see."

"That's all well and good, but... what about the rescue of the victims?"

"Prime Minister, I've ordered the formation of a joint task force headed by the Eastern Regional Commander."

"The police and fire department will do their utmost to rescue the victims."

"Understood. I ask for your cooperation."

Kato nodded his head gravely. He wanted to rush to the scene of the rescue operation right away, but he held back his frustration, knowing that he was the Prime Minister and the head of the national armed attack response headquarters.

"Then, what have you found about the unknown aircraft?"

"Frankly speaking, we don't know," Mitsuya said with a puzzled look on his face. "We are certain that those were B-29s, but there are no countries that are currently operating it or its variants. Their nationality marking was United States military... but there was no IFF response or radio communication, and the United States Forces Japan denies any involvement."

"Of course... contact with the United States' mainland is still impossible."

"There has been no recovery from the massive communications outage. For the time being, we have no choice but to concentrate on gathering information."

"Chief Cabinet Secretary, about that too... as usual?"

"Sorry, sir."

Takano looked really sorry. If they knew anything, they would have received a message immediately, but there is no sign of that. A large-scale communication failure and a sudden air raid. The two seemed to be related in some way, but nothing was certain yet, as they did not have a complete picture of each of them.

"The Air Self-Defense Force has already launched a C-2EB electronic reconnaissance aircraft. We will leave a certain number of the remaining unidentified aircraft without shooting them down, and they will make their way home. Then we should be able to find out at least where the base is."