Chapter 12 - Counterattack

Pacific Ocean: off Saipan Island

Today, all sorts of incomprehensible things were happening.

The base was noisy with rumors that only five B-29s from the bomber squadron had returned, and at about the same time, unidentified planes began circling over the Marianas Islands. The reason this is still speculation is that dozens of aircraft from the Army and Navy were sent to intercept the planes, but they failed to even make contact with them.

"It was probably a new Japanese recon plane."

The base staff member who organized the report concluded, with a troubled mind, that it was probably a new Japanese reconnaissance aircraft. However, looking only at the response on the radar screen, they came to the conclusion that the aircraft was capable of flying at 500 knots at an altitude of 30.000 feet or more for hours at a time. This performance far surpasses even the B-36 being developed in the United States. They wondered if it was German technology, but even Germany had not developed something like that, and if it did exist, it would have turned the war upside down. Perhaps the reason the bombers were almost literally annihilated was that the Japanese had introduced a new type of aircraft with all the guns they could find attached to its lower fuselage and gutted the B-29s like fish.

"Shoot them down at all costs. If that's too difficult, just bring back the information."

When the aircraft reappeared at dinnertime, the squadron leader gave that admonition. But even for a man known for his hot-bloodedness, he seemed less than confident.

"No, they are nowhere to be found."

The pilot of the P-61 Black Widow, a night fighter aircraft, sounded choked with venom. The sun sets late in the stratosphere, but it's getting close. Then there will be nothing left to rely on but the useless radar. Pressurization is nearing its limit.

"I can't even see a plane trail. Are you sure this is the place?"

"They must be five miles away. Keep your eyes peeled."

The pilot searched ahead as requested by ground control over the radio phone, but again, he came up empty.

"Hey, how's our radar?"

"Nothing, sir," the radar operator in the backseat reported back.

The SCR-720 radar is a night radar and is not capable of seeing a very wide area. As the pilot wondered if he could rely on his Mark.1 detector, he suddenly heard the radar operator's exclamation, difficult to describe in English.

"What's wrong!?"

"There's something overhead at 9 o'clock!"

The pilot quickly snapped to the upper left, concentrated all his attention, and finally spotted the dreaded Japanese plane. It was vague, but the plane was huge. It looked like a whale with wings, and at first glance, it was frighteningly fast. It was flying leisurely at an altitude of around 40.000 feet, even though they were already exhausted.

"Gah!"

He hurriedly pressed the dial tone button on his radio.

"Hey, I found it!"

The pilot was overjoyed and reported it. But his efforts were in vain. The radio, he found, was so full of intense noise that it was completely useless. Unbeknownst to him, radar and radio communications facilities throughout the Marianas were in the exact same state.

"Damn it, what the hell is going on!?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tinian Island: over Westfield Air Base