Chapter 111 - Information Disclosure

Geneva: Headquarters of the League of Nations

Foreign Minister Shimura had overseas experience appropriate to his position, but the place he was visiting now was more alien than anywhere else he had been. Although there were differences in language, culture, and values, the fact that they were all spending time together had not changed. I thought again that what was once an unquestioned common sense no longer applied. After all, everything around him was in the past, and the people gathered in the assembly hall were historical figures. After Prime Minister Kato's announcement, he was scheduled to meet with them. Of course, it was anyone's guess how smoothly that would go. The truth was too difficult to believe, and it could even overturn all the laws of the universe from the ground up.

'But still...'

He strongly felt that he had to somehow get his thoughts in order. If it was superficial, even a child could do it. At worst, he could declare that he would launch a nuclear attack if they didn't comply and create a precedent if necessary. It must be because he realized that the government representatives from various countries gathered here were no match for him.

However, what can be achieved through thorough hardline measures is only short-term goals. Although the country has made every effort to achieve it, as it was the most pressing matter at the time, ultimately even if the war ended, the Time-Space Cataclysm did not. Furthermore, it is not just a challenge for humanity on Earth, and we must mobilize research resources from all over the world to investigate its causes. Rather, that seemed to be the true fight to regain normalcy. The fear that the world might suddenly be cut and pasted should not be included in the words "daily life." And what lies beyond that – Shimura had a terribly convenient dream and let out a faint moan.

"Minister, what's wrong?" the young delegate accompanying him, Koda, asked. "Aside from the United States, everyone else has already solidified around the idea of time travelers... Even if reality is too bizarre, we can still manage somehow."

"No, there is no doubt about that," Shimura smiled and looked around a bit.

While admiring the "all-natural color" images of Mount Fuji and cherry blossom trees being projected as a test broadcast, the presence of those who threw glances back at him was recognized regardless of his intention. To their eyes, we must be like evil gods who do not even care about human existence.

"But we are trying to remake the world to suit our own interests. To outsiders, it may seem like a crazy idea."

"That's an unbecoming statement for a minister."

"Perhaps. But currently, the pursuit of national interests and international cooperation coincides in some strange ways. Then... when international research on Time-Space Cataclysm yields results and the causes are clarified, the unification of humanity may begin. I just have a feeling that may happen. Of course, that's assuming Japan doesn't get sent somewhere again before then."

"There's also a method that suggests Japan's forced domination through world conquest to cancel out the Time-Space Cataclysm caused by the transfer of the territory known politically as Japan."

"It's easy to understand, but there's no real basis for it," Shimura replied with a bitter laugh. "That's why we need to investigate the cause either way. It's better to have less trouble. In a research project, what's required of a manager is to pull in research funds and let them do as they please."

"In any case, it seems like a very distant story, at least to me."

"It's the politician's job to work hard for the nation's best interests for the next 100 years."

"That's right."

Koda nodded without any hesitation and seemed to start thinking in his own way. Shimura also tried to resume his thoughts and was brought back to the reality that needed to be dealt with. There was a report that the Provisional US Government army had successfully taken over the White House and secured President Truman's whereabouts. The Prime Minister's announcement, which was already delayed, would start soon.