Chapter 58 - Natural Hatred

Katsushika Ward, Tokyo: Near Shin-Shibamata Station

"Not only did they admit to being at fault for the indiscriminate bombing and shirk their natural obligation to turn over the perpetrators and pay reparations... but war criminal Franklin Roosevelt even went so far as to tell the whole world that he would wipe Japan off the map! He was a war criminal!"

On top of a pedestal set up in the rotary in front of the station, an orator standing on top of it roared with rage.

Many people gathered in front of the pedestal, and they held up various items. In the front row, a bereaved family member held in his hands the image of his family member who was suddenly lost. Behind them, a shredded 6×8 Stars and Stripes flag and placards depicting the slogan "ERADICATE THE DEVIL, AMERICA, AND BRITAIN," were displayed in various places.

"At this point, it is clear that there are only two choices between Japan and the United States: kill or be killed... eat or be eaten. Which of the two, then, should survive? The United States, which has suddenly thrown incendiary bombs into another country, slaughtering innocent people and growing more and more tyrannical instead of being ashamed of itself, or us, which has only hoped for an unchanged tomorrow?"

"It's us!"

"They have no right to a better tomorrow!"

"Take it from them, even if it kills you!"

The crowd's shouts grew in intensity. Passersby, who had business to attend to, were also clamoring. The accumulated sounds washed over the area in a loud wave, which receded after a few moments. The orator spoke again.

"That's right... it goes without saying that WE are the ones who must survive in this world! What right does a nation of criminals, which is no better than an animal, have to deny us the right to survive and the right to the pursuit of happiness!? ABSOLUTELY NOT! WE. WILL. LIVE! AND WE WILL SEE THE TOMORROW!"

Amid thunderous applause and furious cheering, the orator bowed and dismounted. The audience, still cheering, stood there for a while, chatting with their neighbors, and then dispersed in groups. Conversations leaked out, like, "They are dangerous people and should be taken out of the military," and "The local savages should be made serfs."

Fujishima, holding up his son's portrait, stood stunned in front of the station, which was gradually becoming quiet.

"Good day, Fujishima-san," one of the participants in the oration politely greeted him.

Fujishima gave a small nod and somehow managed to look the person in the eye to respond. He thought that he was a person who did not like to look people in the eye. He then turned his head down and pondered for a bit.

"Sensei, you've changed a lot."

"Yeah... both you and I were once caught up in the lullaby of peace. It is a mistake that cannot be undone."

Fujishima wanted to laugh at his words. He was now taking it back, he thought. Still, Fujishima kept his contempt for this betrayal to himself. He knew that yelling at a worthless person would not bring him a penny. For now, he simply obeyed the voice of reason that told him to do everything in his power to get revenge and use whatever he could.

"What are you going to do now?"

"I have some preparations to make, if you'll excuse me."

In a calm, slightly warm voice, Fujishima said. "I've been accepted into the Ground Self-Defense Force's unmanned reconnaissance attack unit... I'll be deployed tomorrow."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Bronx, New York: Downtown

"Hey, he's running that way!"