Chapter 124 - Chance Encounter Trajectory

Chofu City, Tokyo: Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency

"I see, the margin of error is too large..."

Reading the oddly old-fashioned wording in the reply email, Chief Nishina groaned.

A shockwave, expected to arrive in reverse chronological order due to the Time-Space Cataclysm, occurred in the world of 202X, and the only proof of this was the gravity anomaly detected through a global observation network, including many satellites. In preparation for the encounter, which was estimated to occur about 20 years later, efforts to enhance observation capabilities were being rapidly advanced. In fact, plans were already in place to deploy a laser interferometer in a stationary orbit on a nuclear pulse propulsion spacecraft that was scheduled to launch soon.

However, the young genius Dr. Kenan Oktay judged that even this plan was inadequate. While it might be possible to detect the shockwave itself, more precise data would be necessary to explore the Time-Space Cataclysm. Moreover, the problem was that there were limits to measurement accuracy in the vicinity of the Earth. There were too many obstacles to exploring the phenomenon, which was estimated to decrease in intensity by the cube of the spatiotemporal distance.

"However, we won't meet the requirements unless we go to the outer edge of the solar system."

"Well, that's no problem. It'll be a piece of cake, won't it?"

A bright voice resounded, slightly surprising Nishina.

Standing at the entrance to the laboratory was Dr. Dyson, a colleague from another spacetime, with a genuinely cheerful smile on his face.

"If we use nuclear pulse propulsion, we can go to the neighboring star, although it would take more than 100 years. Compared to that, the outer edge of the solar system is just around the corner, at 100 astronomical units or 200 astronomical units away. We can just fly there quickly and install laser interferometers here and there. With an artificial planet network for observation, Kenan-kun could get satisfying data."

"As always, you make it sound easy."

"Yes. It's a simple thing."

Dyson spoke with an unquestionable tone, discussing performance estimates and flight profiles endlessly. As expected, Nishina understood that it had sufficient feasibility. It seems that a considerable number of nuclear bombs would be required, but if all six nuclear facilities in Rokkasho, Yingkou, and Panjin were fully operational, it would be possible to meet the demand. The budget was unclear, but Prime Minister Muto was cooperative, so it would probably work out.

"However... although we have some information on the outer edge of the solar system before the Time-Space Cataclysm, our knowledge of it is still insufficient."

With previous achievements in mind, Nishina expressed his concerns.

Through a massive budget investment, Japan's launch capability was attempting to reach that of America before the Time-Space Cataclysm, and it was aiming for a significant leap with the practical application of nuclear pulse propulsion. However, much of that capability had been used to rebuild lost space assets, such as satellite communication and GPS. Despite being in an era of scientific exploration, it was difficult to say that there were enough launches of spacecraft.

"If that's the case, we may need to be prepared for unforeseen circumstances... payload-wise, it might not be a problem, but we may have to suddenly undertake a long-term manned mission in an unknown area."

"Oh, that's fantastic!"

Dyson's eyes lit up, and his voice became excited like a child with a birthday present.