Chapter 84 - D-Day

Anchorage, Alaska: Fort Richardson

Under the command of Lieutenant General Mamiya, the North American Area Commander and leader of the Joint Task Force "Jimmu," all information was gathered. If one listened closely, one can hear the roar of large aircraft taking off from the adjacent Elmendorf Field. The maintenance crews who did their best to meet the start time of the operation, and the facility crews who expanded the runway in a rush job, were remembered. It seemed that they will be so busy that they will not have time to rest for a while from now on, but they must keep the operation running well because if they really did not rest, the operation will collapse.

Then, as he looked up, an operational situation diagram projected on a huge screen leapt into view, overwhelming him with the unprecedented scale of the single major operation that was just getting underway. The first air attack was, as a matter of course, the full power of the Self-Defense Forces. The special bombardment group that had taken off from Kamchatka was proceeding over the North Pacific, and units led by C-2s and P-1s were launched from Elmendorf as well. The fighter squadrons were refueled at the airfield on Queen Charlotte Island, where they managed to get there in time, and were waiting for the time to launch their sorties. And ahead of them all were the thousands of kamikaze drones that will be launched from the "First Fleet," which has turned around and was once again headed off the West Coast.

"The 1st Squadron's takeoff is complete."

"The 404th Tactical Airlift Tanker Squadron has reached the refueling point."

"The 201st Tactical Fighter Squadron is ready to launch."

Reports were flying back and forth. Everything seemed to be going smoothly, as there was no need to consider interference by the Americans. However, one B-767B had already turned back due to engine failure. Although there was no impact on the execution of the mission, the combination of aggressive modification and unconventional use must be a very heavy burden. However, even if they have to go to some lengths now, they have to completely destroy the military targets that exist in various parts of North America.

"It's an extravagant formation with no reservation at all," Mamiya sighed. "I would have expected nothing less, even though we are suffering from economic controls at home."

"It's an operation to make sure that we don't have to do anything about economic controls," the chief of staff answered, his chest heaving with anticipation. "In addition, compared to the enormous civilian demand, the fuel, energy, and industrial production used for defense is only 1% of the total."

"We've been using 1% of GDP for a long time."

"Yes. If we can restore a dying economy by temporarily increasing it tenfold, it would be a very profitable bet."

"Hmm, indeed."

While agreeing with the chief of staff's explanation, Mamiya counterfactually hypothesized that the situation might have been a bit different. For example, if Japan had been sent to 1941 due to the time-space cataclysm, or if Operation Peace Maker, in which the US Marines stationed on Saipan and former President Roosevelt had smashed the island to pieces, had ended successfully, how would the situation have changed? Peace without a guaranteed supply of resources may have been a good thing, and the natural right to maintain the same standard of living may have led to war, but it was difficult to say whether it would have been so severe and enduring.

But even in the "Time Slip Daisensō," which was representative of earlier studies, with the completed landing on the American mainland and the detonation of the atomic bomb on Washington, D.C., the death toll exceeded 20 million. In this light, it may be that the descriptions that were only mentioned in passing in the work may have materialized with an unusual degree of reality.