Chapter 64 - Destruction at Sea

I have prepared a brief operational chart of the naval battle of Alaska

I have prepared a brief operational chart of the naval battle of Alaska. I hope you will find it useful.

- Kujaku Aoi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

North Pacific Ocean: 1.000 km southeast of Anchorage

Armor-piercing glide bombs dropped from the four C-2s, two at a time, were falling while correcting their course minutely. Each of them, with a total weight of over 4 tons, has an infrared-compatible sensor and was aimed at something close to the image given in advance. Their reliability as weapons was also well demonstrated, as evidenced by the "mysterious disappearance" of the Soviet battleship Arkhangelsk.

The battleship force that crawled along the west coast was under such a sudden air raid. Seven ships that had survived the naval disarmament treaties, and one Cleveland-class light cruiser, were the first targets. Perhaps sensing something, what looked like fighters were taking off from the escort carrier group of converted merchant ships, but they were not even capable of flying to the cruising altitude of the C-2s in the first place.

"All hits... whoa."

In the cabin of a C-2, First Lieutenant Kihara, who was checking the results, let out an exclamation of amazement.

"What do you see?"

"Ooh... it looks like all the targets have been hit and sunk," Kihara replied to the question from Major Mizuse, shrugging his shoulders.

His station was showing the maximum telephoto image. The New Mexico-class battleship was enveloped in a huge plume of smoke, and the three turrets were flying through the air, exposing the base of the battleship in disgustingly clear detail. The Cleveland-class, on the other hand, was already bent into a V-shape.

"The bombs were aimed at the ammunition magazines or the engine room."

"Huh, that's just too bad," co-pilot Kozutsumi commented.

The ship, which he thought would not sink so easily, exploded before he could think of anything else. Is it happiness for those who were dying?

"I'm just glad I wasn't on the receiving end of a bullet."

"Let's just get on with the job for now," Mizuse said without emotion. "Let's go get some vacation time."

"Righto."

The C-2 formation then released more glide bombs some two or three times, finishing off the ships that had no way to escape. All of the larger vessels, over 10.000 tons, were sunk in this way, and more than 10.000 men died before they knew what happened. The attack did not end there, however, as P-1s with anti-ship missiles under their wings sank everything from the destroyers that had miraculously rescued survivors. Rear Admiral Deyo's surface strike force was thus annihilated, and not a single sailor was returned.