Chapter 101 - Breakthrough

Panama Canal Zone: near Gatun Locks

Fresh black smoke was rising from everywhere as a result of C-2s and P-1s sortied from Los Angeles, as well as self-destructing drones and simple cruise missiles launched from UAV carriers deployed along the Pacific coast, which had destroyed air bases, coastal artillery, and anti-aircraft guns. In addition, the barebones F-35Bs were flying overhead while various helicopters were sweeping the troops on the ground. During the battle, an AH-64D Apache Longbow in support was hit by a 20 mm autocannon shell, but it seemed to have demonstrated durability as designed.

In this fierce battlefield, the 1st Airborne Brigade was arriving by helicopters. The resistance was infinitesimally thin. For obvious reasons, the enemy's main forces were deployed along the Pacific coast. In addition, the heavy dose of chemical suppressants and the ground-based VALs units, which had been dropped first, had neutralized them before they could even put up a proper fight.

"Go, go, go!"

Undaunted by the noise, they let out a battlecry and rappelled down. They had no information that the engineers had planted explosives in the locks or that they were planning to scuttle a ship in the middle. If this is the case, it is enough to suppress the switchgear and the hydroelectric power plant that supplies electricity to the mechanism, and secure the safety of the traction locomotive line. Spare generators and electric locomotives were also loaded onto RORO vessels offshore.

"How's it going?"

The lock control building was the top priority. Captain Adachi who rushed there asked around. The most elite men under his command were already fully prepared, and the platoon sergeant gave an affirmative with a stern look.

"Okay, let's go in!"

Flashbangs were thrown through windows broken by the blast, and airborne troops rushed in using various points as entrances. As expected, there was no resistance, and reports of 'clear' were made one after another. The equipment that operates the opening and closing of the locks was also safe. It seemed that most of the technicians and staff were in the building, and they were quickly restrained, as they have just been fumigated by the chemical suppressant. In the midst of this, a wounded soldier, who had completely lost eyesight, began to scream. Was this possible?

"You can't see and you can't hear," the platoon sergeant said and quickly alerted Adachi.

"It won't do you any good."

"That's right."

Adachi reported the completion of the control of the administration building with an emotionless affirmation. Similar reports were made almost simultaneously at the Pedro Miguel and Miraflores locks on the Pacific coast, as well as at various other important points. Needless to say, the ground forces that were in the meantime or on their flanks were subjected to all manner of firepower and chemical forces and were spectacularly obliterated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

San Bernardino, California: Desert Region

In contrast to the gruesome names of places like Siberia, this area was an endless expanse of scorching hot desert. It was like hell on earth. The Alexandrians had unleashed a new group of weapons called 'mechanical creatures.' The garrison, which had originally been the size of a reinforced battalion, had been reduced to the size of a company by the regular bombing of flying types and the sniping of ground types that hid in the vicinity and sniped from several kilometers away. In addition, strategic bombers flew in last night and dropped an absurd amount of super napalm along Route 66. Just when they thought it was over, they were hit by an out-of-the-ordinary long-range bombardment.