Chapter 49 - Decapitation

Sea of Japan: off the coast of Rishiri Island

The Arleigh Burke-class destroyer USS Dewey and three other ships were sailing through the jet-black sea. Suddenly, there was a flash of light on the deck. An object with a trail of white smoke billowed into the sky, then arced gently to the northwest. The RGM-109C Tomahawk, the US Navy's famous land attack weapon, took off one after another from the VLS. A total of 120 rounds were fired. This was a full-round, full-capacity attack.

"Tomahawk launch complete."

"Hmm."

The commander of the task force gave his approval as he watched the guided missiles heading toward Soviet territory. Without missing a single shot, the Tomahawks took flight, and within an hour or so, they would smash the airfields and bridges the Russians had built with digital terrain collation.

"Now we're heading for Sea Area Bravo."

The order was given, and the destroyer Dewey turned around. The two other ships followed. Their destination was Sea Area Bravo, which was farther north. There, they would again conduct ground attack missions and cover the landing of friendly forces.

'Though—no, let's not do that.'

The task force commander tried to think of something and quickly dismissed it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vladivostok: Golden Horn Bay

"Hey, Mitya, what's that funny sound?"

Grigori, a second-class petty officer who had been drinking on the wharf, spoke with a totally not sober expression on his face.

Dimitri, a fellow delinquent and also red-faced, heard this and let out a furiously troubled groan while sleepily chewing on a seared squid. It also smelled inexplicably of alcohol.

"That seems strange..."

"Yeah... I thought I heard a strange high-pitched sound a while ago."

"If it wasn't a high-pitched girl's voice, I don't care."

Dimitri, looking bored, took another drink that they got from somewhere. The destroyer Reshitelny had just returned from a reconnaissance mission in Hokkaido, and now she was going to sail to Korea. Apparently, the war schedule has been accelerated since Japan notified them just a few days ago that they are severing diplomatic relations. If this is the case, now is the time to drink. They will stock up on the black market or buy some from the ship's inventory, and drink until they get tired of it.

"But still... it's so boring," Grigori rolled his eyes. "I wonder if they're going to call off the sortie."

"No way."

"No?"

"Yeah. Unless the big guy suddenly blows up—"

Dimitri's laughter died away. As he was about to laugh, the Pacific Fleet command center, which was just out of his line of sight, suddenly exploded in a grandiose fashion. Immediately afterward, a roaring explosion hit his ears. Hats were blown off, and empty bottles lined up in a row fell over and made shattering noises.

"Is that a real explosion...?"

"W-what the hell was that!?"

The stunned Grigori and Dimitri looked at each other. The drunkenness of the two men was also instantly gone. Meanwhile, explosions continued to erupt, sending flames flying everywhere in the city and harbor. The air raid alarm had not yet sounded, but it was obvious that it was an air raid. And amidst their panic, the destroyer Reshitelny also exploded and sank.