Chapter 81 - Liberation

Oahu: Waianae Range

A faint scent of something out of place wafted from the pitch-dark mountain forest. The 8th Company of the 4th Mobile Regiment, which had secretly infiltrated the POW camp during the bombing in order to liberate the camp, had been given future equipment. Their excellent skills were eating the Self-Defense Forces' battle rations to cheer them up on the eve of the operation.

"Aren't they convenient," Sergeant Kidani, who had known Oba since the Battle of Saipan, spoke as he pulled out a warm pack from a bag laid out on the floor.

He heard that there were many cases in the south where the smoke from cooking was used as markers for artillery barrages. The fact that cooking can be completed simply by throwing the heating agent and rations into a special bag is a tremendous advance in comparison. Kiuchi handed the red rice and side dishes to the members of his unit and opened a packet of stewed chicken and vegetables.

"It tastes so good, it's a real morale booster."

"Honestly. I really feel like this is the Reiwa era."

Captain Oba, the company commander, also reveled in it as he picked up the pork belly stew. Although he didn't revel in it openly, he cannot help remembering his hometown and his wife as he ate the food of the era of saturated food. Perhaps it was the same for everyone in the 4th Mobile Regiment. In fact, it was a unit composed only of those who know what was going on.

'For now, we should concentrate on the battle at hand.'

As he was enjoying his meal with this in mind, an urgent call came over the radio. It was Lieutenant Hiroyama of the 21st Platoon. His unit was trapped somewhat deep in the mountains, but they were making full use of special communications and surveillance equipment to probe enemy conditions and communicate with regimental headquarters.

"What's the situation?"

"Captain, the enemy is moving toward the camp."

The report caused everyone to gasp and the place to tense up. The meaning was clear. The Yankees were thinking of executing the POWs before the friendly forces offshore began to land. This had actually happened on Saipan, and there had been many cases of guards mistreating and killing Japanese-Americans in internment camps on the US mainland.

"Request the regimental headquarters to move up the operation launch time."

"Yes, sir. I will inform the regimental headquarters to move up the time for launching the operation."

After hearing Hiroyama's reply to the order, Oba immediately moved into action. The 16th Platoon, in charge of shooting, and the 4th Platoon, which was to enter from another direction, were ordered to take up battle positions. The non-commissioned officers of the 2nd Platoon, which he leads directly – there are no soldiers in the mobile regiment – were already getting ready for battle while hastily chomping down on their rice. After waiting in haste for a while, the long-awaited order arrives.

"The 8th Company will begin operations at 01:00 and liberate Honouliuli Camp."

"Alright. You all heard the order."

Oba raised his voice and everyone's enthusiasm filled the air. He stared at their faces, some of which he might not see again, took a deep breath, and continued.

"Now let us go forth and give glory to the Empire."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pacific Ocean: 20 km southwest of Oahu

In the past, he would have been furious if he had heard that prisoners of war blabbed about their secrets. However, when he was told that he should have been properly trained not to speak anything other than his official name or that he should endure torture because his comrades would always come to his rescue, he now had to admit that he was wrong. He felt angry about it, but the result was the result. Besides, when he was cut off from his homeland, he became desperate and crazy. It was unexpected that his motherland would disappear into space and time, but it was a story he experienced firsthand.