Chapter 44 - The World of Past

Liaodong Peninsula: Countryside

"Hah, sow these seeds?"

Tanabe, the farm's representative, asked as he looked at a bag of corn seeds.

The man facing him in the administration building was a strange man in a very elegant suit who had arrived with an official from the Mantetsu district. He had arrived with the corn seeds in a shiny truck, the likes of which he had never seen before. Tanabe wondered if this man was related to the large planes that have been landing in Dalian recently.

"That's right. This is a new variety of corn, newly developed in the interior, which is expected to yield extremely well," the Mantetsu official declared haughtily. "Therefore, I want you to sow this seed throughout our farm and achieve a much higher crop yield than before. The food shortage in the interior is now becoming serious due to the effects of a unique disaster. It is not an exaggeration to say that the fate of the Empire depends on your work."

"Right, I understand."

"These are the precautions for cultivation."

The strange man took out a booklet from an envelope and began to explain everything in a polite tone. This booklet was filled with pictures and illustrations in unusually vivid natural colors, and seemed to have cost a lot of fortune. It is written in both Japanese and Beijing dialect, and there are many pictures, so even an illiterate crochet might be able to read it.

And if what is written in the booklet is true, it would be possible to cultivate the land even now that his sons have been taken away by the military. The book also says that the seeds are coated with a repellent to prevent birds from eating them, and that they will even grant insect repellents and herbicides specially designed for corn. This is a big deal, but how could it possibly be so good? Tanabe recalled that although Manchuria is said to be a land of royal ease, it was not so easy.

"Insect repellents and sprayers will be sent later. Spray regularly as shown in this diagram to prevent insect damage. Also, use the bird repellent from the time when the berries begin to ripen. Birds are reasonably smart so please—"

"Can I ask you something?" Tanabe asked hesitantly. "How much for the whole thing?"

"It will be given free of charge. You must work hard and produce as much corn as you can for the sake of the Empire."

"Eehh...?"

"We really need to expand our agricultural production now. Anyway, please help us," the strange man said and bowed with a truly pleading look on his face.

Tanabe was lost. He had heard that the war was beginning to show signs of a turnaround, with the recapture of Saipan. However, something completely different, some strange force must have been at work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaohsiung: Harbor

Damage to the convoys abruptly decreased. Rather, it was as if the damage itself had gone. In mid-March, a temporary suspension of Operation Nan-go was issued. Shortly thereafter, they apparently succeeded in inflicting heavy damage on the US forces. He thought it was just another big announcement, but it seemed to be true. Otherwise, it would have been impossible for cargo ships and oil tankers to have gathered in Kaohsiung Harbor in southern Taiwan and be safe. However, Nanzaki, second mate of the cargo ship Fushimi Maru 2, could not believe his eyes.

"Captain, did you find out anything about that ship?" Nanzaki asked the captain, who had returned from his round of greetings while smoking a cigarette at the port inn.

A huge cargo ship was anchored in Kaohsiung Harbor. The ship, which was as big as a Navy capital ship, had cranes on its deck working frantically. The dockworkers were busy loading rice, sugar, and other commodities that could no longer be transported to the mainland.