2 • 154 • 166

- Between Separation and Beginning -

"Do you hate yourself?"

The young Xing Xi was surprised to receive such a question. She raised her head and looked at the long wavy haired woman, dressed in brown cloak with a pair of deep and calm pink eyes. Those eyes, whenever she saw the little girl, always appeared to be sad and looked at her in pity.

"You are born as an exception, but it means you have to suffer... just like the illness that you are suffering from now," the pink- haired lady said before she patted her head. "And in the future, you will experience more and more upsetting things. Do you feel satisfied living in this way?"

"I don't understand what you are talking about, but I feel quite happy right now," she answered while eating a big and fresh red apple on her hands. "Though I wish I could grow up soon and get better quickly."

"Why is that?"

"Uncle promised me that if I'm an adult and I'm healthy, he'll allow me to travel to outside world," she answered. "I saw from the books that uncle gave me. There is one that describes all cuisines in Gardenia... and all the pretty scenes. Isn't that great?"

The young her failed to see that the lady wasn't happy for her at all. Rather, after hearing what she said and saw her sincere smile, she felt even sadder.

"If you go out there, you'll experience a lot of bitterness."

"But I would get to see lanterns! Ah! And don't forget those delicious things!"

"All just for fleeting moments," the woman replied. "You are indeed a greedy child."

'But at the same time, you are so naive.'

She raised her index finger and pointed to the young girl.

"All births in this world are predestined, but you are not. You are born to curse thousands, millions lives of others, a calamity that the world wants to kill, but is also played by destiny."

She couldn't understand a single word that the woman spoke, and simply looked at her with her innocent eyes. She didn't know what the woman was talking about, and pretended to understand it by nodding her head.

"As the one who is truly blessed, the first owner of Sacred Lotus, I should have killed all evil beings who bring harm to this world. You aren't an exception either," the wavy- haired woman spoke. "Therefore, I want you to promise to me."

"Promise what?"

The woman raised her index finger and pointed it to her heart, "Live in kindness and selflessness. Learn to cherish and empathy. This heart must be free of guilt, filled with kindness until your time runs out. Do you understand?"

She blinked several times in confusion, chewed the red apple and just nodded her head. It was like what the woman expected.

She sighed, 'What am I talking with a young child? Let alone understanding it, it would be amazing if she doesn't forget it.'

"I promise."

The wavy- haired woman was taken aback.

"It's all about being a good child, right?" The young Xing Xi asked. "To be honest..."

She took another bite and added with a sweet smile, "I don't understand what you said before. But I just know that I have to be a good girl, right?"

Listening to her words, the wavy- haired woman tilted her head a little. Her eyes softened as she poked young Xing Xi's nose.

"You are surely history's stupidest 'evil' seed... and also the kindest one. Maybe... you aren't as terrifying as the world said."

Xing Xi didn't understand that line, but seeing how the wavy- haired woman smiled a little, she smiled widely and took another bite of her red apple.