❨ 002 ❩

୨ ♡ ୧

୨ ♡ ୧

Devon opened his eyes when he felt a gentle touch on his shoulder; he was still groggy but realized it was a flight attendant who had woken him up.

"Excuse me, young man. We are about to land," she said calmly, her voice soft and pleasant.

Devon adjusted in his seat and smiled at the woman. "Thank you."

The woman continued down the narrow aisle to ensure there were no more sleeping passengers. Meanwhile, Devon fastened his seatbelt and yawned deeply, trying to fully wake up. To be honest, he had slept better than ever in his life.

Nearly half an hour later, the young man had disembarked from the plane and retrieved his luggage. Glancing at his phone, he noticed a missed call from his mother. It had been a while since they spoke because his father didn't allow it, but the situation felt strange. He didn't know what to expect, and that made him a little nervous. He attempted to call her back several times, but there was no answer.

Resigned, he began walking towards the airport exit to find a taxi. It was going to cost him a lot since Forks was at least a three-hour drive. As he strolled through the waiting area, he noticed someone holding a sign with his name.

It was a man, not very tall but with a thick mustache and a checkered shirt over a white T-shirt. Devon approached cautiously, furrowing his brow.

"Devon?" the man asked with a slightly nervous tone.

"It's me, although I don't think I know you," replied Devon.

The man seemed a bit uncomfortable, maybe shy. "I'm Charlie Swan," he introduced himself. "Your mother asked me to pick you up. Yesterday, she dropped her phone in a bucket of water at work, and it doesn't work. She was a bit desperate because she couldn't let you know I was coming."

Devon appeared somewhat surprised but noticeably relieved to know that his mother had only broken her phone and wasn't trying to ignore him.

"You and my mother..." he left the sentence unfinished.

Charlie blushed a little, looking almost adorable. "Well, she said you two don't talk much, so I guess it's normal that you don't know. But your mother and I have been living together for three years. I hope that doesn't bother you."

Devon had no memories of his mother and didn't even know her in photos, but he was glad she had found someone. Besides, Charlie seemed like a good man.

"Not at all," Devon smiled and started walking. "Thanks for coming to get me, Charlie."

Charlie felt much more relaxed. Amy had told him that Devon was a problematic boy who always got into fights at school. He noticed the big bruise around his eye, but in reality, the boy had been very kind and calm. Charlie needed to find out more about him before passing judgment.