❨ 026 ❩

୨ ♡ ୧

୨ ♡ ୧

Devon parked his motorcycle outside the flower shop where his mother worked. It was a small store, but among the other shops, it looked beautiful and full of life.

He turned off the motorcycle and took off his helmet while gazing at the store. He knew his mother wanted to open her own bakery, but it was quite complicated as it involved a significant amount of expenses. Devon hoped to be able to help her one day. He wanted his mother's biggest dream to come true.

After gathering some courage, he walked towards the store, and as he opened the door, a bell chimed throughout the place. There were numerous plants everywhere, and although Devon had been in that place many times before, he could sense the changes since the last time.

"Welcome, I'll be with you in a moment," he heard his mother's voice from the back. He couldn't help but smile a little as he continued advancing towards the cash register.

It didn't take more than a minute before he saw his mother coming from a door that probably led to the storage room. She furrowed her brow upon seeing her son in that place. He wasn't supposed to be there.

"Do you need help with that?" Devon asked, pointing to the box she was carrying.

His mother shook her head as she set the empty box on the floor. She looked at her son with a mix of annoyance and concern.

"What are you doing here? You're supposed to be in school. Did something happen? Are you okay, Devon?"

Devon looked at her with sadness. They weren't particularly close yet, as he was just getting to know her, but he wished he could stay by her side a little longer.

There was a moment of silence, a moment that felt very desperate for his mother, but she remained calm, waiting for her son to speak.

"There's something... something I want to tell you," Devon murmured.

His mother's expression changed to one of concern, and without hesitation, she took a few steps forward until she was in front of her son.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?"

Devon didn't want to prolong the moment, and even though it wasn't the best place, he decided it was better to say it now.

"I've been thinking about it for a while... since the Eugene incident," Devon lowered his gaze at the memory, "the truth is, I haven't been feeling very well since then. My mind is always somewhere else; I don't feel like doing anything. Even though I'm surrounded by friends and family, I can't help but feel lonely," he cleared his throat and looked at his mother, "I appreciate everything Charlie has done for me, and I thank you for being the mother I always wanted. But... I've been thinking about taking a gap year. I want to leave school for a while and travel as much as I can to try to heal. If that makes any sense," he let out a somewhat graceless laugh and looked back down, "I don't want to disappoint you, but I really have no idea what I want for the future right now, and my head feels like it's about to explode from so many things I've been through. Besides..."