❨ 023 ❩

୨ ♡ ୧

୨ ♡ ୧

Edward lay next to Bella as they gazed at the blue sky filled with white, fluffy clouds. The Cullen boy had been deep in thought in recent days, reflecting on Bella and how, after drinking her blood, he felt absolutely nothing for her. He wasn't in love with her, and the insatiable thirst was gone when he was near her. He just didn't care. But breaking up with her was a challenge he hadn't faced before, and he wasn't sure how to do it without hurting her. Despite everything, he didn't want to harm her in any way; he knew she didn't deserve that.

Bella, on the other hand, clung to him in a way Edward couldn't comprehend. He struggled to understand her insistence on becoming a vampire, a desire that had started since the school dance. Despite Edward's warnings that it was a terrible idea, she always brought up Devon and how he had managed to control his impulses, believing she could do the same. It would mean they could be "together forever," but Edward didn't want that. However, he had no idea how to tell her without causing pain. He had mentioned Devon's life-or-death situation, but Bella didn't seem to fully grasp it.

"And what do you think?" Bella's voice snapped Edward out of his thoughts. She lay next to him, looking at him expectantly.

Edward smiled a little, unsure of how to respond since he hadn't paid attention to her words. He hated not being able to read her mind.

"About what?" he decided to be honest.

Bella furrowed her brow as she sat up on the grass. "What's on your mind that you're not paying attention to me?"

Edward felt a bit guilty. Being with Bella was silent; he couldn't read her mind, and being in a secluded place made everything quiet. But it was just that. When he was with Devon, it wasn't just "quiet"; it was peaceful and pleasant. No voices, no noise, just a genuinely pleasant atmosphere.

"Sorry. I've been unable to stop thinking about some things, but I promise to pay more attention," Edward said. Bella smiled, and he suggested they should head back before Charlie came looking for them with a shotgun. Bella agreed, but before getting up, she leaned in to give Edward a gentle kiss. He reciprocated for a couple of seconds, then pulled away, standing up to help Bella.

The trip back was relatively quiet, with Bella talking a bit and Edward doing his best to listen without letting his thoughts wander. The truth was, he had an urge to return just to see Ronan, even if just for a second.

Upon reaching the Swan house, Edward exited the car first and opened the passenger door, extending his hand to help Bella out. They approached the front door together, and before Bella entered her home, she stopped to give Edward a quick kiss on the lips.

Bella went inside, and Edward lingered for a moment, realizing Devon wasn't in the house as he couldn't detect his scent. In fact, only Charlie and Bella were there. Resigned, he got into his car and drove quickly home.