❨ 003 ❩

୨ ♡ ୧

୨ ♡ ୧

Devon woke up without much enthusiasm, still feeling his face sore, but at least the swelling had significantly reduced, leaving only a large red and purple mark with a hint of green.

Charlie had mentioned that his paperwork for the new school was all sorted out. As soon as they knew he was arriving, they took steps to handle everything, and being a small town, enrolling him midway through the year wasn't too complicated.

So, Devon mentally prepared himself over the weekend for his first day at the new school. All eyes would be on him not only because he was the new guy but also due to that big bruise on his face. The downside was that many would come up with their own speculations and spread different rumors throughout the school. But at that point, he didn't really care. If they wanted to say he was a delinquent who just got out of reform school, so be it.

After getting ready, he left his room and headed to the kitchen. His mother, Amy, was preparing breakfast, and Charlie was sitting at the table sipping coffee while reading the newspaper. Both looked at him as soon as he entered.

"Good morning, Devon," greeted his mother. "Take a seat, and breakfast will be ready in a moment. I also left your lunch for school on the counter."

Devon looked at the paper bag on the counter and smiled a bit. He was starting to like this place; it was pleasant, and it seemed like he wouldn't have to endure shouting every morning. He took a seat at the table, and Charlie lowered the newspaper to look at him. Devon noticed that Charlie was wearing his police uniform. It was strange to see him like that after seeing him dress so casually before.

"Good morning, Devon. I hope you have a good first day at school," Charlie said, still speaking with a certain awkwardness. However, Devon realized that Charlie was just shy and had trouble starting conversations, but he was trying.

"Thanks. Good morning to you both," Devon replied.

Amy placed breakfast in front of him, and he quickly started eating. He discovered that his mother's cooking was simply delicious, and he could eat without stopping. Amy also took a seat to have breakfast, and the three of them ate in silence.

After about twenty minutes, Devon stood up to leave his plate in the sink and fetch his backpack. They had already explained to him how to get to school. There was a school bus that passed relatively close to the house and would drop him right at the entrance.

"I'm off," he was about to leave the kitchen when he heard his mother calling him.

"Devon, wait."

He stopped abruptly and looked at the couple who were also looking at him. He furrowed his brow, confused and a little nervous. Had he done something wrong?

"Is everything okay?"

Amy smiled excitedly and handed him something. Devon furrowed his brow even more but approached to take what his mother was offering. It was a small box, not larger than his palm.