❨ 022 ❩

୨ ♡ ୧

୨ ♡ ୧

Devon arrived at the Cullen residence with a sense of foreboding, especially after Bella and Edward left together the way they did. Should he have gone with them?

He didn't dwell on it much when he received a call from his mother. Devon was in the living room, waiting to see what would happen next, but he answered the call.

"Mom?"

"Dev?," her voice sounded concerned. "I'm so sorry. Do you know what happened to Bella?"

Devon had to think quickly.

"I... I'm sorry, Mom," he sounded slightly nervous. "The truth is, at the last minute, Ronan and I decided to go somewhere else and didn't join the others for baseball. Is she okay?"

"Oh..." there was a moment of silence. "It seems Bella and Edward had a fight, and she said horrible things to Charlie when she got home. It looks like she wants to go with her mother and drive through the night. Can you talk to her? Charlie is really worried, and he's afraid something might happen if she drives all night."

"Don't worry, Mom. I'll call her and ask her to wait for me so I can go with her," he spoke in a low voice. "I'm sorry to hear about Charlie, but I'll try to talk some sense into Bella."

"Thank you, dear," she knew her words had brought a small smile to her son's face. "And I'm sorry for ruining your night."

Devon smiled.

"Don't worry about that. I'll call you when I'm with Bella."

The call ended, and Devon looked at Ronan, who was by his side.

"Bella will be fine," Ronan reassured him. "We'll take care of her."

Devon shook his head.

"It's actually Charlie I'm worried about. My mom said he was really upset after what she told him. Whatever the situation, I don't think Charlie deserved to hear something bad."

Ronan took his hand and gave it a gentle squeeze.

Not long after, Edward and Bella arrived just as Laurent, the vampire they had seen before, was leaving. It was time to come up with a plan.

They decided that Bella would go with Alice and Jasper, but Devon volunteered to go with them to protect her and prevent Amy and Charlie from being more worried. If they knew he was with her, at least they wouldn't lose their heads.

And so it was. It was a brief farewell, but not before hearing Rosalie's complaints as she clearly disliked Isabella and didn't want to help her. Carlisle intervened, calming the situation.

Then the four set off for Phoenix. Devon called his mother, assuring her that he was with Bella and that everything would be fine. Charlie felt significantly relieved upon hearing this.