❨ 008 ❩

୨ ♡ ୧

୨ ♡ ୧

Devon was standing at the back of the room in a black suit, his dark circles more pronounced than ever. It was Eugene's funeral, and he had asked his mother for permission to attend, a request she didn't hesitate to grant. She understood what her son was going through.

Devon had returned to Pittsburgh for a few days, welcomed by Margo. Apparently, his father was out of the country for work, which was fortunate because Devon had no desire to deal with the man at a time like this.

From his spot, he could see Eugene's parents crying, but he didn't dare approach them to offer condolences. He still felt somewhat guilty and was content with being allowed to attend the funeral.

Tears welled up again, but he wiped them away before they could fall. Just seeing Eugene's photo there made his heart ache in a painful way.

A couple of hours passed, and slowly the attendees started to leave. He spotted some students from school who were friends of Eugene, but he didn't approach them, nor did they approach him. However, he overheard that there would be a small ceremony at school.

"Devon?" He snapped back to reality when he heard someone calling him. It was Eugene's mother.

He nodded.

"Yes," he murmured.

The woman gave him a sad smile and took something out of her pocket. It was a notebook page. She handed it to him along with a wooden box.

"Thank you for coming," she said, her voice filled with sorrow. "I would have liked to meet you in different circumstances. But... my Eugene really cared about you, don't doubt that. He had more issues than you know, and I don't want you to feel guilty about what happened. That was just the last straw."

Devon nodded, trying to choke back a sob, taking the note and the box.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Mrs. Kennedy. Eugene was a great guy. I really cared about him."

The woman nodded and walked away slowly with her husband. Devon then looked at the note with sadness and fear of what it might contain.

It took a moment until he finally opened it and smiled upon recognizing Eugene's handwriting. It wasn't really a letter, more like a note.

"Devon, I know you're probably racking your brain, thinking this is your fault, but it's not. I learned from you that I shouldn't be afraid to be myself, and I started ignoring what they said at school because I still had friends who accepted me as I was. I just think I wasn't really content with my life, and there were many more things tormenting me. Remember that I'll always love you, Devon.

Forever yours, Eugene."

Devon tried to smile a little, but tears silently streamed down his face.