❨ 024 ❩

୨ ♡ ୧

୨ ♡ ୧

Devon sank into his bed after the family dinner his mother had organized in an attempt to strengthen family bonds, or so she said. He placed both hands behind his head and stared at the ceiling. He couldn't help but think about certain things, mainly revolving around Ronan and Edward.

A little over two weeks ago, he had a long conversation with Ronan where he explicitly stated he wasn't looking for anything serious, not interested in any kind of relationship. He asked Devon if he was okay with just spending time together, sharing some kisses, caresses, and maybe more if the moment arose. Essentially, something akin to friends with benefits.

Devon was confused at first. He never imagined Ronan would say something like that, but he had nothing to lose by giving it a try. After all, he was now an immortal being, and there was no harm in experiencing as much as he could.

Moreover, being honest with himself, he didn't feel any romantic attachment to Ronan. He cared for him and had come to appreciate the moments they spent together, but it didn't come close to what he felt for Edward.

Still, he appreciated Ronan's honesty, although he had this strange feeling that Ronan wasn't as honest as he appeared, and there were still many things he kept hidden. Devon wasn't sure if he wanted to know everything, at least not at that moment. He preferred to enjoy the moment a little longer.

He closed his eyes for a moment, enjoying the small silence that began to envelop him.

"The room of Bella is on the other side of the hallway," he said without opening his eyes.

"I know," murmured Edward in the darkness as he crossed his arms and leaned against the wall.

Devon opened his eyes to look at Edward, although he remained lying down with both hands behind his head.

"What are you doing here?"

There was a long silence.

"Honestly, I don't know," he finally answered. "I just..." He didn't continue.

Devon sat up on the bed and looked at Edward with a furrowed brow.

"What's happening, Edward?"

But Edward kept his gaze on the ground. Devon would dare say he looked... sad.

"Can I ask you something?" he spoke without lifting his gaze.

Devon thought for a moment. He had been avoiding Edward, but it seemed there was no escape this time.

"Yes."

Edward raised his eyes and looked into his.

"Why him?" he frowned, almost seemed hurt by asking that question. "Of all the people in the world... why Ronan?"

Devon looked at him without understanding and not sure what to answer.

"I don't know what you mean."

Edward fell silent for a moment. He felt frustrated and upset. He couldn't freely read Devon's thoughts; he only captured some ideas when he wasn't touching him directly, but it was still challenging to connect the dots.