❨ 033 ❩

୨ ♡ ୧

୨ ♡ ୧

Edward and Devon spent a little over two and a half weeks in Alaska. Devon really liked the Denalis; it was easy to converse with them and pass the time. Besides, the place was pleasant, and hunting was much more straightforward. He genuinely enjoyed being there.

Moreover, it didn't take more than two days for the Denalis to discover that Devon and Edward were a couple. For Edward, saying it out loud still felt odd, but he remained close to Devon. On his part, Devon understood Edward and didn't pressure him at all; they were taking things slowly. However, he appreciated that Edward wasn't one of those idiots who vehemently denied their relationship. He didn't mention it, but his actions spoke volumes.

The Denalis were very receptive about it, as they had grown accustomed to Ronan and his various partners he brought home, be they men or women.

But it wasn't all good. They had returned from hunting when Edward's phone rang, indicating a call from Rosalie. The call was short but to the point; Alice had had a vision, and she didn't want to tell Edward, but Rosalie thought it was best. It was about Bella jumping off a cliff. Rosalie also mentioned she wasn't sure if Bella had survived or not, but she wanted Edward to know what had happened.

In all those months since he left Forks, Edward hadn't thought about Bella even once, and that made him feel very guilty. He left her with a broken heart while he enjoyed his trip with Devon.

"I'll call Mom to ask," Devon spoke calmly. Edward seemed restless, but he nodded and sat next to Devon to listen to the call.

The woman answered on the third ring. She sounded a bit hoarse, as if she had been crying, which worried them for a moment.

"Hello, dear. I didn't expect your call until Saturday. Is everything alright?"

Devon furrowed his brow while looking at Edward.

"Uhhh... yeah. I just wanted to know how you all are. I'm bored and called to check on you. How's Bella and Charlie?"

There was a short moment of silence.

"Bella is fine," both boys seemed relieved at those words. "She went to the beach with her boyfriend Jacob and just returned. But one of Charlie's friends died yesterday, and he's not doing well."

"Oh... that's sad to hear. Tell Charlie I'm sorry."

"Thank you, dear." Another short silence. "Are you sure everything's alright?"

"Yes. Maybe I'll visit soon," he looked at Edward, who nodded more peacefully, "I miss you all and would like to have one of your desserts again."

The woman smiled, though Devon couldn't see it.

"Of course, Dev. You can come back whenever you want."

"Thanks, Mom. I'll talk to you later."

"Goodbye, dear."