❨ 006 ❩

୨ ♡ ୧

୨ ♡ ୧

Edward felt like an eternity passed, and they weren't getting home fast enough. Fortunately, Esme was reasoning with him to stop accelerating as if they didn't have a poor, injured boy in the back seat. Devon wasn't in any life-threatening danger; he was just sore, probably with a couple of broken ribs or maybe not even that, but Edward was genuinely worried.

He didn't understand the reason for his sudden concern for this boy. They had only spoken a couple of times at school, in the only class they shared.

"I'm Esme, by the way," he turned to Devon and gave him a friendly smile. "I'm Edward's mother. Well... his adoptive mother."

Devon smiled a bit while trying to lift his head since he was lying down.

"Pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Cullen. My name is Devon. I share a class with your son."

"Oh, sweetheart, just call me Esme. Don't make me feel so old."

Both laughed, but Devon complained a bit about the pain. Edward growled, signaling them to be quiet. Fortunately, they reached their destination in a short time.

Parking the car in front of the entrance, Edward quickly got out and helped Devon out while Esme went into the house to find her husband. They had to act like normal people, so they had many limitations, but Edward was sure that Devon's scent had reached everyone present in the house.

Devon put an arm around Edward's neck while Cullen hugged him gently from the side to help him walk. It felt like an eternal journey into the house; Edward felt frustrated because he could simply carry Devon in his arms, but he resisted doing anything.

Carlisle met them halfway up the stairs.

"Esme already explained to me," he said with a slightly worried tone. "Take Devon to the couch while I get my things."

"Thank you, Carlisle."

Edward led Devon to the luxurious couch and helped him lie down. Devon felt relieved, but intense pain spread throughout his body. He didn't remember fights being so painful, or maybe it was just that those guys knew how to fight well, and there were many more of them. Usually, he faced guys his age or just a couple of years older than him.

Carlisle didn't take long to come back with a large briefcase in his hands, which he left on the coffee table before kneeling next to Devon with a friendly smile.

"Hello, Devon. My name is Carlisle."

"Pleasure to meet you, Dr. Cullen. Charlie talks a lot about you."

Carlisle chuckled.

"Alright, Esme said you fought with some guys. Can you show me where it hurts and describe the pain?"

Devon thought for a moment. Everything hurt, but he could focus on the area where everything radiated.

"The abdomen, I think," he said, "where the ribs are. And it's a constant pain, like someone pressing on my intestines."