❨ 005 ❩

୨ ♡ ୧

୨ ♡ ୧

Edward was deeply engrossed in playing the piano, yet he seemed oblivious to his surroundings. This was quite unusual. While he wasn't very outgoing or talkative, he usually remained aware of what was happening in the house and with his family. He could hear their thoughts and knew when they needed something. However, at that moment, he felt detached from the outside world.

"Edward," Esme called from the stairs. She had a bag in one hand and car keys in the other, ready to leave.

The copper-haired boy returned to reality and looked at his adoptive mother with a slightly furrowed brow.

"What's wrong, Esme?" he asked.

She looked at him with a raised eyebrow, somewhat amused. "Are you okay?" she asked, taking a few steps closer to him.

"Why do you ask?" he replied defensively, though it wasn't his intention.

Esme displayed a kind smile as she approached him. "Well, you promised to come with me for this week's shopping. I told you we'd leave in fifteen minutes."

Edward checked the time; more than twenty minutes had passed since Esme had told him.

"I'm sorry, Esme," he stood up, "I have some things on my mind."

She patted his arm as he passed by. "Don't worry. Do you want to talk about it?"

They walked in silence for a moment until Edward finally nodded.

"I think so."

Both got into the car, with Edward taking the driver's seat. The ride remained silent for a few minutes, with the radio softly playing in the background. It was only when they entered the town that Edward decided to speak. Esme had decided to give her adoptive son some space, not pressuring him to talk. Edward would tell her when he was ready.

"I met someone," Edward finally said. "It's a new guy."

"That boy, Devon, right?" Esme asked. "Alice talked about him when she came home from school. She said he was very handsome."

Edward almost rolled his eyes. He didn't like Alice or anyone else meddling in his affairs, though Devon wasn't really his concern. It was quite normal for people to notice him being the new guy. He was quite eye-catching, not just for being new; his striking appearance drew everyone's attention, adorned with a significant bruise on his handsome face.

"Yes, it's him," he confirmed.

Esme showed a small understanding smile. "What's going on with him, Edward?"

He thought about it for a moment. He wasn't sure how to explain it.

"I don't know," he finally said without taking his eyes off the road. "I usually keep away from people and my classmates, but I like being around him. His mind is so calm and pleasant; it drowns out the noise of others."