❨ 012 ❩

୨ ♡ ୧

୨ ♡ ୧

The weekend passed, and when Monday arrived, it was a surprise for everyone to discover that it was an excellent day. No rain or dark clouds covering the sky. Just perfect sunshine.

During lunchtime, everyone was on the school patio, enjoying the good weather. Devon was with Jessica and Bella, sitting right next to the former, feeling the pleasant rays of the sun on his face. The boys had invited Devon to a quick basketball game, but he had to decline due to his shoulder injury, so he stayed with the girls.

The three of them were silently enjoying the pleasant weather.

"He's not here," Jessica suddenly said, but Devon realized she was talking to Bella, and he turned to look at them. "When the weather is nice, the Cullens disappear."

"And they don't come to school?" Bella asked curiously.

"No. Dr. Cullen and his wife take them camping or something. I tried it once with my parents, but it was a disaster."

Bella was about to speak, but Angela arrived, very excited.

"You won't believe it," she spoke aloud, "I'm going to the dance with Eric." Devon smiled a bit; he had talked to Eric about it just as Angela had asked him to, but Eric had said he wanted to invite Bella. It was something Devon couldn't tell Angela because all her hopes and dreams would shatter. Nevertheless, he was glad they were going together. "I invited him, and he said yes."

Devon smiled a bit at his friend's excitement. He was genuinely happy for her.

"I told you," Bella said, and both girls hugged.

"Do you really have to leave town?" Angela asked.

Devon vaguely remembered that Charlie had mentioned his daughter would be visiting her mother for a few days. It was probably the same day as the dance. He didn't talk much with Bella, except during car rides or meals. Although he liked her, they never formed any kind of connection.

"Oh, yeah... it's a family matter," Bella quickly glanced at Devon but lowered her gaze just as quickly.

"I say we need to go shopping in Port Angeles before all the best dresses are gone," Jessica said. But as soon as she finished speaking, the bell rang, indicating the start of classes.

"Port Angeles?" Bella asked, looking at Jessica. "Can I come?"

"Of course," Angela replied. "I need your opinion. Don't you want to come with us, Devon?"

Devon slung his backpack over his good shoulder as he stood up. "Sorry, girls. Not this time."

And without another word, they entered the building to continue their classes.

🥀

A little over a week passed. Devon had left his house early for school and encountered his friends in the parking lot, who were discussing the theme of the dance, which Eric claimed was Monte Carlo.

Devon was starting to think it might be a good idea to attend that silly dance, even if just to hang out and have fun with his friends.

He looked at the flyer Eric had handed him; it was well done and seemed more attractive compared to the ugly and boring invitation Mike had given out. More classmates gathered around, receiving flyers from Eric, when suddenly he heard Angela speak.

"It can't be." He looked in the direction she was looking, and the smile that once adorned Devon's face vanished completely.

Bella was getting out of Edward's car, and Edward seemed quite... happy.

Devon quietly slipped away from that place, feeling his chest beginning to ache. He really didn't understand Edward and how his mind worked.

But if that was Edward's answer, well, he wouldn't insist anymore.

Edward watched Devon walk away quickly while putting his arm around Bella's shoulders. Something inside his chest was starting to hurt, but it was such an unfamiliar sensation to him that he couldn't explain it.

At lunchtime, Edward didn't see Devon anywhere, making him feel impatient. He wanted to see him, to try to explain the situation, although he knew everything would look like silly excuses.

"I saw him leave on his motorcycle a while ago," Alice's voice suddenly reached him as she took a seat next to him, taking a bite of a cookie.

Edward looked at her with a furrowed brow. "What are you talking about?"

"Alice sighed irritably. "Devon, of course. Ed, you're my favorite brother, but sometimes I think you're a complete fool."

"How can Edward be your favorite brother?" Emmett asked defensively, though playfully.

Alice was about to reply in the same tone when she froze, her gaze lost. Edward read her thoughts while Jasper gently hugged her shoulders, waiting for everything to pass. Edward, however, furrowed his brow more and more.

"Devon is in danger," Alice murmured, looking Edward in the eyes.

And that was enough for Edward. He got up abruptly, grabbing his jacket and walking quickly down the hallway. Bella appeared in front of him with a tray of food, and he stopped his walk to look at her slightly annoyed.

"Hi," Bella spoke softly. "I thought we could have lunch together."

Edward wasn't sure what to say, but he had to leave right now.

"I'm sorry, there was a problem, and I have to go right now."

Bella furrowed her brow, annoyed, and was about to reply, but Edward was already walking away down the hallway.

The boy got into his car and drove off in a hurry, driving like a maniac and dodging the cars in front of him. He was anxious and desperate to get to Devon because, although Alice's vision was not very clear, he had an idea of what would happen if he didn't get there in time.

 He was anxious and desperate to get to Devon because, although Alice's vision was not very clear, he had an idea of what would happen if he didn't get there in time