❨ 028 ❩

୨ ♡ ୧

୨ ♡ ୧

To get to Pittsburgh by car would take approximately a day and a half, but Edward managed to drastically reduce the trip to just 16 hours. Devon thanked him because, although the journey was quite enjoyable, he had a certain uneasiness about arriving. He guided Edward on the route to his old neighborhood, and after fifteen minutes, they stopped in front of a lovely house that brought back various memories for Devon. That life now seemed truly distant, but he remembered it all very clearly.

Devon saw Margo in the front yard watering the plants and felt relieved. However, the feeling didn't last long, as when Margo turned to her left, Devon noticed huge black bruises around her eye and part of her cheek. She probably had a broken cheekbone. Devon recognized it from his own experience; that's how it looked when someone broke your cheekbone. It had only happened to him three times, but it was quite amusing that it had happened more than once.

Anger consumed him entirely, and Edward noticed, placing a hand on Devon's. He looked at Edward with a furrowed brow. He just wanted to go and kill the man who had hurt Margo.

"I know you're upset," Edward said calmly, "but it will be worse if you lose control here and now."

Devon nodded and tried to relax, although it was almost impossible. It didn't take long before he finally got out of the car, with Edward following him. They appreciated the large tree providing shade and preventing the sun from hitting them directly, even though it wasn't a particularly sunny day.

The woman continued watering the plants, not paying much attention to what was happening around her. But she felt someone looking at her, and when she finally looked up, she met Devon's gaze. Her eyes lit up for a moment, and a smile spread across her face. She left the watering can and ran towards Devon for a hug.

Devon welcomed her with open arms, and for a moment, the anger seemed to fade away. Margo's hugs always felt warm and comforting, and that hadn't changed at all. As soon as they separated, Devon gently took the woman's cheeks, a concerned expression on his face. He carefully examined the wound, realizing it was very recent, maybe a day or two. She could barely open her eye as the whole area was swollen.

"Why did he do this to you?" Devon asked, calmer than he thought he could be.

Margo lowered her gaze with sadness, trying to hide the tears that were about to fall.

"Let's go inside, okay?" She looked at Devon and then gave a quick glance to Edward.

Devon let go of the woman, and the three entered the house.

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in school?" Margo asked once they closed the door.

Devon smiled, "I decided to take a gap year. By the way, this is Edward, a friend from Forks. He also decided to leave school, and we're taking a trip together."