❨ 025 ❩

୨ ♡ ୧

୨ ♡ ୧

When Carlisle finished healing Bella, both of them left the room and encountered Edward waiting for them in the hallway. Carlisle understood that things with Jasper were not going well, and he probably couldn't handle the guilt consuming him at the moment.

"Can you go ahead to the car?" Edward placed his hands on Bella's shoulders. "I'll be there in a moment."

Bella looked at both men and left without saying a word, even though she wanted to hear anything they had to say.

Carlisle and Edward exchanged cautious glances before the blonde started speaking.

"How is Jasper?" he asked as they entered the study. Carlisle began tidying up the things left on the desk.

Edward shook his head with lowered eyes. "Not very well. I tried talking to him and telling him it wasn't his fault, but he feels genuinely guilty for what happened."

Carlisle closed his briefcase and approached Edward, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"I'll talk to him later," there was a brief silence, "but there's someone else I'm concerned about. Devon."

They locked eyes. Devon.

"Ronan will take care of that," Edward said.

But Carlisle shook his head with a sad smile. "I don't think he needs to hear Ronan's words. I genuinely believe he needs you, Edward. Besides, I assume you understand that a very important decision needs to be made. Could you bring him home tomorrow?"

"Agreed."

"It's easy to protect and control his thirst while we're here, but it will be a real danger if we leave him alone. He has never been directly exposed to human blood, and he's probably thinking about what happened."

Edward nodded, about to say something more, but he thought better of it.

"I'll bring him tomorrow," he walked towards the door, "I'll drop Bella off at home."

Carlisle nodded and watched him walk down the hallway. The night wasn't supposed to end like this.

Bella was already in the passenger seat when Edward got into the truck. The girl had her gaze down, hugging her own arms. Edward started the engine without saying a word, unsure of what he could say. The journey was mostly silent.

"This wouldn't have happened if you had turned me," Bella suddenly spoke without looking ahead. She sounded almost annoyed.

They were very close to their destination.

"You know my stance on that, and I won't change my mind," he spoke in a low but firm voice.

Bella huffed and settled into her seat.

"But now I'm older than you," she complained, and it almost sounded amusing to Edward, "every day I'm getting older, and I'm sure you won't love me anymore when I look like my grandmother. Besides..." her voice softened, "if you turn me... we could be happy together forever."