Chapter 7- Kissed lips and a broken leg

Not all black girls have the broken accent. Most of the time I speak proper English or talk in a Caribbean accent. (My parents are from the Caribbean,..and I pick up accents quickly.) Anyway, Heather speaks Brooklyn's broken English. Enjoy.

After a week of running and riding around with Flynn, I decided that I would talk to him over the week end like normal friends do. That Sunday morning I sat on my outside steps with a book in my hand, waiting for Flynn to come out with his dog.

His mother walked down the steps with her car keys in her hand, and two of Flynn's little brothers at her side.

She looked at me. "Are you waiting for Flynn, sweedy?"

I nodded.

"He's in the house. Says he's sick. You can go see him if you like."

I stood up and walked across the street. "Thank you, Mrs. Friday."

"Just don't steal anything."

I furrowed my brows at her.

"I'm joking, honey. Go ahead....Wait, I don't mean go ahead and steal-"

"I know, Ms. Friday,"I smiled and walked into the house. It wasn't much different from the time I went there, when I was a little kid. That was when Flynn's parents were together.

I walked up the stairs of the house. "Flynn?...Flynn?"

"Yeah?,"I heard him answer from the attic.

I walked up the stairs to the attic door and knocked."Uh..I...I was uh-"

He opened the door.

"I came to...uh"

He smiled at me.

"How are you feeling?"

"It's just my allergies. I think it's the dust in my room. So I was just cleaning up."

"Do you want any..help?"

"No,"Heather popped out for behind him,"He has enough help, thank you."

"Okay..I'll jus-"

"No, wait,"he held my hand,"I need all the help I can get."

"No, it's fine,"I yanked my hand away," I can leave you two alone."

"Come on, Harley. I know you wanted to hang out."

I shrugged and walked up the squeaky wooden stairs.

The attic was huge....Well, it was the biggest house in the neighborhood.

I walked over to Heather. "Uh..I never introduced myself to you. I'm-"

"Harley. I know. Flynn hitchu' in the head with a stupid bat, so he thinks he has to be all sweet with your ugly as-"

"Whoa!,"Flynn stood between us,"Heather. Don't start please."

"I know you want my man just like the rest of those stupid little girls in your stupid little high school. And I can't believe,"she pinched Flynn's arm,"you brought her here."

I couldn't have her being mad at him. "I'm gay,"I stopped her.

They both looked at me.

"Oh..I..,"she looked ashamed,"I'm sorry. I just wanted to protect Flynn. You know? I'm really sorry. Nice to meet you by the way. I know you know me. The girls probably talk about me at school."