Chapter 15- Coming out to Mom

"I can't believe he got himself suspended,"my mom shook her head. "That boy is so much trouble." We turned the corner on the street.

"Are you going to stop me from seeing him?,"I looked at her. "Because I'm actually fine with that-"

"He made a deal with me. You know your mother's no deal breaker."

"Well,"I raised my brow,"you did make a deal with Ms. Friday when we were little. Who broke it off again?"

"..I did not. She did."

"Are you sure because from what I recall-"

"Harley!"

I giggled.

As we started pulling up into our neighborhood, we heard shouting. It was Flynn and Ms. Friday.

"I told you to leave that little girl alone!,"she shouted at him.

"I thought you liked her?,"he shouted back.

"I never said that. And even if I did, you don't need to be around her."

"It wasn't her fault mom,"he shouted back. "It was my choice to fight the guy."

"But if it wasn't for her, you wouldn't have been fighting him in the first place-"

"Mom!,"he held her shoulder turning her towards us and directing her to car.

She shook him off angrily. "I don't care."

We pulled up into the driveway. My mother got out of the car.

Ms. Friday crossed the street. "You listen here you little-"

"Mom!,"Flynn shouted interrupting her.

"You call your daughter an angel? She got my son suspended. This is his first suspension."

"For the year,"I mumbled getting out of the car.

"What did you say?,"she looked at me.

"I'm just saying that Flynn has been suspended like, one, two, fifteen times since the eighth grade."

"Not helping,"Flynn said through his teeth.

"I know,"I smiled.

"My daughter did not get Flynn suspended,"mom slammed the car door,"He chose to fight that boy."

"Harley's boyfriend,"Flynn folded his arms.

"What boyfriend?,"she furrowed her brows.

I signaled Flynn to stop talking.

"Danny Jefferson. He's like her sweetheart."

My mother looked at me. "I didn't know you had a boyfriend Harley."

"I..,"I looked at Flynn,"don't."

"Harley,"Flynn tilted his head in disappointment.

"She actually has a girlfriend,"Ms. Friday folded her arms.

"What?,"Flynn and I said at the same time.

"Don't act like you two don't know. Harley's a dyke."

"That is so disrespectful coming out of your mouth,"my mother shouted. "My daughter's not a lesbian."

"Harley,"Ms. Friday looked at me,"Tell your mother...Harley, tell your mother. You're eventually going to have to come out of the closet, so do it now. Tell your christian mother."

"Mom, take me inside,"I looked at her.

"Harley-,"she furrowed her brows at me.

"TAKE me..inside."

She walked over to me and held my arm.

"Wait,"Ms. Friday shouted.

"Are you going to apologize?,"my mother looked at her.

She giggled. "You know me better than that Margaret. I just want to know what you meant by "coming out of my mouth"."

My mother smiled. "I don't wanna say it. Wouldn't wanna lessen your son's respect for you would we?" She took me into the house.

I couldn't lie to my mother twice. I had to tell her what was going on between me and Eva. She would understand. I had her kind heart....for certain things..and people."

"Here you go,"she handed me a cup of hot chocolate.

"Thank you,"I smiled at her. "Mom?"

"Yes?,"she stood by the sink washing dishes.

"I have something to tell you."

She sighed staring at the wall. "Harley, can you wait till your father comes home? I can't handle this alone."

"I can't wait for him because I don't want him to know. I want this to stay between the both do us."

"What is it?,"she looked at me.

"If you think it's the coming out talk it's not."

She sighed in relief. "Too many kids are claiming to be gay these days. Sexuality is not a game, Harley."

"I know, mom. That's why I'm telling you why I have a girlfriend."

"You what? What are you doing with a girlfriend if you're not-"

"Mom. Lemmi' explain. There's this girl in another school who's struggling with depression, and she thinks that the only way she can be popular is to date someone-"

"Are you telling me some story, because I'm serious-"

"Just listen. No guys wants to date her so Flynn's girlfriend-"

"Flynn has a girlfriend?,"she walked over to me and sat down.

"Uh, yeah. The girl who goes to his house almost every day. Who did you think she was?"

"His pen pal from Africa."

"Mom! That's racist."

"She's like dark chocolate. Besides, we're Indian. We can't be racist."

"You're white. Dad's Indian."

"So...I'm a part of an Indian family."

I shook my head. "Anyway, like I was saying before, Flynn's girlfriend thought I liked Flynn and she-"

"You don't like Flynn?"

"...No, mom. What made you think I liked him?"

"I don't know. You act so girly around him."

"Oh my god....Do I really-?"

"Like him? Yes, you do."

"I meant act girly. Wow, mom. Just wow."

"Go on with your story."

"Flynn's girlfriend wanted to kill him so I lied to her, and said that I was gay. She decided to set me up with someone from her school and it ended up being the depressed girl."

"Wow. You can write a story from this."

"Well..what would happen in the end?"

"The mother tells her daughter to dump the depressed girl," she got up.

"But mom-"

"Dump her."