❦ PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

Our story begins, I guess, with what the Blossom twins did this summer. On the Fourth of July, just after dawn, Jason and Cheryl Blossom drove out to Sweetwater River for an early morning boat ride. The next thing we know happened for sure is the Dilton Doiley, who was leading Riverdale's Boy Scout Troop on a bird-watching expedition, came upon Cheryl by the river's edge. Riverdale police dragged Sweetwater River for Jason's body but never found it. So a week later, the Blossom family buried an empty casket and Jason's death was ruled an accident as the story that Cheryl told made the rounds. That Cheryl dropped a glove in the water and Jason reached down to get it. And accidentally tipped the boat. And panicked. And drowned.

As for us, we were still talking about the July 4th tragedy on the last day of summer vacation when a new mystery rolled into town.

Amethyst licked her lips as she looked up from her coffee mug, catching the gaze of her best friend, Jughead Jones, who was currently raising his eyebrows up at her.

"Why are you drinking coffee when it's night time?" He asked, taking a break from typing on his Apple laptop.

Amethyst smiled lightly as she took a sip of the coffee. "When do we ever sleep, Mr Jones?" she said.

Jughead rolled his eyes in a playful matter. "Almost never," he replied.

"Exactly," Amethyst grinned.

"But you could always live with your older brother," Jughead suggested. "So, you would at least get some sleep for school."

Amethyst scoffed. "And live in a tent? No thanks."

Amethyst glanced around the room at everyone in their booths talking to one another, when her gaze caught Betty and Archie sitting together, drinking their shakes.

Amethyst must have been staring for too long because then Jughead turned around to look at the pair. He scoffed and turned back around.

"Still salty with Archie?" Amethyst asked, leaning back in her chair.

"Yes, and I'm kinda wondering why you aren't considering he did ditch our road trip at the very last minute," he said.

"Guys only ditch out on mates when it has something to do with a girl," Amethyst pointed out. "So, I'm guessing...."

"Archie has a girlfriend?" Jughead asked.

Amethyst shrugged. "Or a girl he really likes."

"You wouldn't think that—"

"Archie ditched us for Betty?" She asked and Jughead nodded. "Doubt it. I told Betty about the road-trip. She wouldn't have planned something with him during that weekend."

The door bell of the diner rang and Amethyst looked up to see who had walked in. A girl — clad in an overly expensive black coat — walked into the diner, clearly looking like she didn't belong in the small town.

"New girl's hot," Amethyst commented as she walked past their table.

Jughead turned to look at her, but his gaze quickly turned back around. "She's alright."

Amethyst rolled her eyes. "I'm trying to help you find a girl for yourself, considering you're so hell bent on being single for the rest of your life."

"I have you, that's all I need," Jughead said and Amethyst grinned.

Amethyst watched as Archie and Veronica shared flirtatious glances. "I feel sorry for Betty," Amethyst said.

"How come?" Jughead asked as he turned to look at them.

"Archie is clearly flirting with the new girl."

"And why would that have anything to do with Betty?" Jughead asked.

"She has a massive crush on him."

"Betty?" Jughead asked, surprised.

"Yes, and she has for a while," Amethyst sighed. "Guy and girl best friends tend to fall in love with each other. In books and movies, I mean."

"But we're not in love with each other, right?" Jughead laughed.

Amethyst snorted. "Definitely not."

The new girl, which Amethyst overheard was called Veronica, walked out of the Diner, and Betty pulled on a fake smile for Archie again.

"Man that's got to hurt," Amethyst mumbled.

"Let's make a pact that we will never fall in love with each other, just so we don't end out like those two," Jughead said as he held his hand out. "Deal?"

"Hell yeah," Amethyst grinned as they slapped their hands against each other's, then fist bumped.

Jughead and Amethyst never knew that they were lying to themselves when they made the pact.

- i'm in love with
riverdale and jughead -