❦ FORTY | NEVER FELT

CHAPTER FORTY

CHAPTER FORTY

Weekdays, from 8:35am to 3:01pm, we adhere to a strict regimen. Everything in our lives is controlled. But then something like the murder of Jason Blossom happens and you realise there is no such thing as control. There is only chaos. Nevertheless, some of us strive to impose and maintain order in what is, fundamentally, an orderless world. A fact which would very soon be confirmed in ways none of us could have foreseen.

Amethyst sat on Archie's bed facing Archie, the two of them working on their homework. Archie needed help on the maths, and Amethyst just happened to be decent at maths. Jughead sat on the floor with his back against Archie's bed, playing a video game.

There was a knock on the door, causing the three friends to look at who it was.

Fred smiled lightly. "I'm, uh--I'm headed out. Sorry to be missing your birthday this weekend, Jug."

Jughead shrugged. "Oh, you will not be missing anything, Mr Andrews. I barely acknowledge my own birthday."

"Naw, my baby's turning sixteen," Amethyst said in a baby voice and reached over the bed to squish his cheeks.

Jughead shoved Amethyst's hands away with a small roll of his eyes. "Only three months younger than you, chillax."

"Arch, can you give me a hand downstairs?" Fred asked.

Archie frowned before getting off of his bed and following after his dad.

Amethyst turned fully around so that she was facing Jughead's back.

"So, Juggy, what do you want for your birthday?" She asked with a smile.

"Nothing. Just like last year," he replied.

Amethyst huffed. "You're a bore."

"And yet you're still friends with me," Jughead turned around and smiled at her.

Amethyst rolled her eyes. "Slightly regretting it now."

Jughead grinned and shoved her, causing the female to chuckle in response.

The following day, Amethyst sat at the cafeteria table with Archie, Veronica, Betty and Kevin. She sat picking at her mac and cheese as she listened to Veronica complain about her father and everything revolving around him.