❦ SIXTY-NINE | JUST KIDS WHEN

CHAPTER SIXTY-NINE

CHAPTER SIXTY-NINE

Everyone's afraid to say it. So, let me be the first. There is a serial killer amongst us. Terror was sweeping into the bedrock of Riverdale. A town hall meeting had been set by Mayor McCoy. People were afraid to walk the streets alone, especially as dusk approached. Shops closed early, locks were added to doors. Suspicions between the North and South side deepened, fanned into flames by Alice Cooper. As everyone wondered what danger lurked in the dark, when we would hear from the Black Hood next, and how far into darkness would Archie go on his quest to avenge his father and to stop the Black Hood?

Amethyst walked through the door of her and her brother's cabin at six in the morning. She locked the door behind her and began to walk down towards her room when the lights suddenly turned on.

Amethyst froze from her spot in the hallway, before turning around to see her brother by the light switch.

"Where were you?" Demarcus asked.

Amethyst frowned. "With Jughead."

"Yeah, but where?" he pressed.

"At the library getting books, and then to FP's trailer to read them," Amethyst said slowly. "Why?"

"And you didn't bother to answer my calls? My text messages?" Demarcus said, his arms crossed against his chest.

"My phone was flat," she replied.

"Then borrow Jughead's! Or just come back here to let me know that you're okay," Demarcus told her.

"You know I'm always safe and well aware when I'm out on my own, even with Jughead," Amethyst told him, frowning as she walked further into the room so she wasn't tempted to run back into her room. "What's gotten into you?"

"Amethyst, there is a serial killer on the loose," Demarcus said, stating the obvious.

"And he's targeting sinners," Amethyst replied. "I haven't done anything wrong."

"You're an atheist," Demarcus said. "That might be a sin in his books."

"But I'm not outwardly an atheist," Amethyst replied. "I don't go around handing flyers out to people or waving a sign around telling everyone my religious beliefs."

"You're bisexual."

Amethyst frowned. "And that's a sin?"

"To some people, yeah, it is," he said.

"But that just about puts a target on a quarter of people at Riverdale," Amethyst said.

"And then-and then mom," Demarcus said, shaking his head. "She had me when she was still a teenager. God only knows if he believes she passed down her sin to me, or even you."