❦ THIRTEEN | IS DRIVE

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Jughead stared at the small model of the whole town. Amethyst stood to the side, nervously biting her nails - a shitty habit she had gotten into when her mother passed. Amethyst had booked an appointment with Mayor McCoy in advanced so her and Jughead could try to convince the Mayor to keep the Drive-in.

"I'm sorry, but the Twilight Drive-in? It's a blight that's become a cesspool. And a hangout for criminals and transients. And the deal's done. Andrews Construction is scheduled to demolish the lost on Monday," Mayor McCoy said.

Jughead licked his lips and tried to come up with some sort of way to make her keep it. "Mayor McCoy, when I was a kid, my family and I, and Amethyst's family would go to the drive-in all the time. We couldn't afford tickets for everyone so my sister, Jellybean, and I would hide in the trunk until we parked. We'd sneak out," Jughead said.

"And that's the same with Demarcus and myself. Mom couldn't afford more than one ticket so we would hide in the trunk," Amethyst said.

"It's like my home," Jughead said. Amethyst looked at him and held his hand, giving it a light squeeze.

"That's a very sweet sentiment, Mr Jones and Miss Moore, but the future of Riverdale is at stake," Mayor McCoy smiled. Amethyst sighed and nodded. "Now, if you two don't mind, I have a meeting in a few minutes."

"That's fine, we have to go back home anyway," Amethyst and Jughead stood up. "Thank you for your time, though."

Mayor McCoy smiled. "Thank you for coming to me with your problems, but sorry I wasn't much help."

"That's alright," Amethyst smiled and then they walked out.

Jughead and Amethyst went to the next person who they could try to persuade to keep the drive-in opened. Someone who was contracted to tear it down.

"Mayor McCoy says you won the contract to tear down the drive-in," Jughead told Fred Andrews.

Fred sighed. "I did." He smiled lightly. "Look, I'm sorry, guys. I know how much you two love the Twilight, and so do I."

Jughead walked to Fred's desk and rested his hands against it. "Mr Andrews, just give me one week to track down the person who bought the land and convince them not to demolish a holy house of cinema."

"It's a big contract for me, Jug, Amie, and for my guys," Fred said. "Whatever they build in place of the drive-in could mean more jobs."

"Yeah, in what? Some hypothetical future?" Jughead scoffed. This was their last chance at keeping the drive-in and now it was gone. "You put one Jones out of work. Why don't you put another, huh?"