❦ SEVEN | ALL WE DO

CHAPTER SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN

"I can't believe you're making me go to this," Jughead groaned as they ran across the school parking lot, hand in hand.

"We have to go support our friends," Amethyst told him.

Jughead scoffed. "No one out there is my friend."

"Archie was. And no matter what we say," they stopped running once they reached the side of the bleachers. Amethyst poked his stomach, "Archie will always be our friend."

Jughead flared his nostrils as he scanned the field. "Well, look who he is with," he said.

Amethyst looked out onto the field and saw Archie and Ms Grundy talking to each other.

"That fucking siren," Amethyst mumbled.

"He is going to get caught if they're constantly seen talking to each other," Jughead said.

Amethyst sighed. "I know." They watched as Archie turned to look at them. "I wish I could lip read," she mumbled.

Archie began to run across the field towards them. "Speaking of the devil," she said out loud.

Jughead looked at him. "Girl trouble? You?" He asked.

"Grundy and me. We're telling Weatherbee," Archie said.

Amethyst held her finger up. "Are you both telling him, or is it just you?" She asked.

"Okay, I am," Archie said. "And, also, I didn't mean all that crap I said to the two of you. I'm sorry."

Jughead nodded. "It's cool." The two of them awkwardly looked at each other and Amethyst rose an eyebrow. "We're not gonna hug in front of this whole town. So, why don't we both just do that bro thing where we nod like douches and mutually suppress our emotions?"

"Yeah. But as friends, right?" Archie asked.

"To be discussed....over many burgers and many days," Jughead smiled. Archie chuckled and then ran off onto the field.

Amethyst shook her head. "Boys," she said under her breath.

"To kick off this pep rally, I'd like to hand it over to our very own Mayor McCoy," Weatherbee said.

"Thank you, Principal Weatherbee," Mayor said. "It is heartening to see so many of you here, even in weather like this. But a lack of heart and school spirit has never been the Riverdale way. Tonight's pep rally isn't like any other we've had in the past. And we shouldn't pretend that it is. Which is why I would like to dedicate this evening to the memory of one of our brightest. Jason Blossom. We're with him tonight. Now, please, join me in welcoming to the field our very own River Vixens and their special guest stars, my daughter, Josie, and her Pussycats!"